Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should have known better...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got my first bow for Christmas in 2000. Soon after unwrapping it, I shot a pie plate group at 20 yards and was sitting on a milk crate over-looking a creek bottom 3 hours later. I shot right under a doe no less than 5 hours after pulling that thing out of the box. I've always wrote that off given I really had no business being out there.

Last weekend I was asked if I had ever missed a deer with a bow and I said no outside of that day. Well, I should have known better!

Had 3 does come in perfectly and the biggest one stopped at 32 yards. She was eye level, so I had to sit down to shoot and that meant the bottom of the blind window was in play. I had to hold mid-chest to clear the window and sure as shit, she ducked the arrow. Nothing but a few brown hairs and dirt on the arrow.

So for the first time in 14 years, I'm a BIG WHIFFER!!! :mad:

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Not sure if you saw my post a few days ago but I too whiffed on a doe. I misjudged the distance by 5 yards and then she ducked the string. Arrow went right over her back by about an inch. My biggest mistake was being too cocky. I had this deer hanging in my garage before I even hit the trigger.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was owed that by the deer gods. I've killed something like 16-17 deer with a bow in the last 14 years. Lost one to a rookie tracking mistake and another to "no mans land." Always felt when I decided to turn one loose, it was all over but the gut job. It was time to knock me down a few pegs.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sucks man. Bound to happen eventually though... Just the law of averages. At least it was a clean miss though.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Brock has a good point. I will take a clean miss over the alternative.......briars are no fun when it comes to nothing! I do however feel sorry for the next one to come along!:smiley_coolpeace:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That sucks man. Hunt long enough and some craziness will happen sooner or later. Glad it was a clean miss so no harm no foul buddy. Dust it off and get the next one. Don't let the miss eat at you or it will screw you up the rest of the season.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Yup I know that feeling!! Mine was because my sights got moved somehow was shooting 6in low at 30 yds.. We have all done it, it's a reality check to make you understand the deer gods still rule the roost lol. Just gotta get back out there and redeem yourself..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sucks too happen but it'll keep you honest for the next time... We take for granted at times for the chip shots and it goes awry every once in a while..... Clean misses are always a good thing..... The only down side is educating some doe.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
She was already educated, so this really sucks. As soon as she was in eye sight of the blind, she started head bobbing. There was no way she could see me behind the mesh, but she knew there could be danger in there. I'll have to kill her elsewhere on the property now cause she won't make the same mistake I bet.