Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Yardage limits for shooting deer?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't like to shoot past 30, but I do have a 40 and 50 yard pin. Longest shot I have ever successfully taken a deer was 35 yards. Just don't like to push my luck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have pins out to 50 and 60 yards. Opening day 2007, I shot a doe at 51 yards. Doubt I ever do that again unless conditions are perfect. I'd prefer to keep things 35 and in, but consider 40-45 to be my max.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If a deer I wanted to harvest was standing over a doe not knowing of my presence and looking the other way or at her and I've ranged him at 50-55 yards I'd feel very confident that I could make that shot and take it IF the weather conditions were perfect.
I prefer the shots to be inside 40 and most of my sets are set up to have 30 being the maximum distance I can shoot. I have a couple stands that offer up to 50 in some pretty clear hardwoods though but most of my stands are in pinches offering much closer shots.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It depends. There are times and situations a long shot has a higher probability of success and there are times they won't. You need to spend a lot of time in the woods and studying the deers habits . I have passed on 25 yard shots and taken 40's all based on behaviors. What I can tell you is take good shots like broadside and or slight quartering away... I personally a broadside only fr the most part. Know your equipment and skill level and decide from there

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Let your conscience be your guide. We need to remember there is a living breathing thing at the end of that arrow flight. Over the years I have wounded several deer. None serious enough to cause death thank goodness But they were always shots I did not feel comfortable in taking. That was in the early years and I have conditioned myself to take ONLY shots I feel good about.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Let your conscience be your guide. We need to remember there is a living breathing thing at the end of that arrow flight. Over the years I have wounded several deer. None serious enough to cause death thank goodness But they were always shots I did not feel comfortable in taking. That was in the early years and I have conditioned myself to take ONLY shots I feel good about.

Exactly, distance isn't the only factor.... I've talked too people about shots they've taken and at 10 yards it was an iffy shot.... Too much cover or wrong angle.....

Treed

Stark County
There's a lot of factors in this. I practice out to sixty yards but a Glen Del buck doesn't do much in the way of inspiring the adrenalin rush like a real buck does. I'm dead confident inside forty but I've never shot further than thirty at a deer. I've passed a few shots much closer because of things like a bad angle or not being able to get a good shooting lane. If I'm not completely confident I can put it where I want it, I'll let them walk. There's always another day.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
When I was shooting my bow a lot more, I could confidently make a good shot at at 40-45 yards, but right now I wouldn't take anything outside of 30-35.