Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trad string length

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a great visit this week with Milo and JohnR up in the C-bus area this week and Eric let me bring home an unstrung takedown recurve he picked up so I can play around with it. I'm taking it to a shop here in the Cincy area to get a string for it.
This question is for Milo,Jamie,Taylor and any other trad veterans out there. It's 65" long and 52#. How long of string do I get(3 or 5") shorter and what grain points if I buy 3035 gold tip arrahs?

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's a 62 inch bow right? I'm trying to remember if he doesn't know how to order a front for a recurve them I would t have him do it. I will get you a website to order from. Most are 3 inches shorter..or even 4. On the gold tips i would shoot full length shafts until you get them dialed in and try a 100 and 125 Grain point and see how they do.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If it is a 62" amo, I'd call up Geezer and tell him ya want a string. The man makes fantastic strings!!!!

I typically do 4 inches shorter than the amo for recurves and 3 inches shorter than amo for longbows. You can add and remove twists to adjust the brace height form there.

Its elk modern rifle season right now and im not doing to much. So if you verify the amo i will sent you a string ric.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
4 inches shorter than your bow length. Do you mean 3555 arrows? 125 grain heads out of that bow. Full length shaft.