Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pennsylvania Bugleing Bulls

Got in late this evening from a two day cruise through PA. The wife and I had a great time and succeeded in crossing two things off of our bucket lists. Our goal was to see our first bull elk in the wild and hear a bull elk bugle.

We left Tuesday morning and as always hit the smaller state routes to travel. Our first stop was a scenic overlook somewhere outside of Pittsburgh. We both needed to stretch our legs and take a couple of photos.
IMGP5478.jpg IMGP5469.jpg IMGP5475.jpg

Lunch was a quick hot dog and then back on the road.
IMGP5480.jpg

After a few hours and some scenic driving we came across our first bull and he was bugleing to boot. Norma took a hurried photo that didn't come out so well, but still one we will cherish.
IMGP5382.JPG

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How about shed hunting there???? lol.... Probably protected as well.....
Thanks for sharing Dick..... I'd like too take the old lady on that trip as well if she'd ever get some vacation saved up lol.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Look at the eye guards on that hoss! Great pictures and and an even better trip! Thanks for sharing that with us. I didn't even know PA had elk. Majestic creatures.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's awesome Dick! I remember seeing some of the PA bulls at the big expo in Harrisburg a few years back. They were mounts of what was growing out there and it was amazing to see. I've never seen a live elk. May have to follow your tracks some time!

teej89

NE PA
Awesome! and it's crazy how HUGE those PA bulls are. My buddy had a camp just north of where I'm from and he'd get elk on his trail cams all the time.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

I don't know about shed hunting J. I'd think getting on private property could be a possibility. From what I gathered the elk herd is in a small area. By small I'm guessing a twenty to thirty mile square area. I saw quite a few road signs that stated ELK CROSSING NEXT 10 MILES. Most of the elk we found were within five miles of the Elk Visitor Center near the town of Benezette. Benezette is about 25 miles north of Clearfield. The area is about a three hour drive from NE Ohio via Route 80. It took us about seven hours following smaller state routes and a few county roads.

It was a fun trip and well worth the drive. Best thing it killed some time this week waiting for deer season to open.

Huckleberry Finn

TBenezette is about 25 miles north of Clearfield. The area is about a three hour drive from NE Ohio via Route 80. It took us about seven hours following smaller state routes and a few county roads.

It was a fun trip and well worth the drive. Best thing it killed some time this week waiting for deer season to open.

If you're looking for more good PA driving, I highly suggest Rt 220 between Williamsport and Towanda. One of the most beautiful stretches I've ever been on.

pa.jpg

Closer to you in NE Ohio, hit Rt 8 off of 80 and go north.

Look at the eye guards on that hoss! Great pictures and and an even better trip! Thanks for sharing that with us. I didn't even know PA had elk. Majestic creatures.

They call it Elk County for a reason...they even do some selective hunting too

Last edited: