Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening Weekend Plans

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This E-NE wind situation is pure nonsense. I've only ever had one stand for that wind and its no longer there. Anyone else in a pinch with such an odd wind direction?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love the forecast. Yes the wind direction is a bit non-typical, but ENE brings the cool temps and I'm all for that for the opener.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Still in the 80s down here, so it didn't do much for cooling things down. Wish Tuesday would switch with Saturday! 38 in the AM with a high of 65.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
This E-NE wind situation is pure nonsense. I've only ever had one stand for that wind and its no longer there. Anyone else in a pinch with such an odd wind direction?

I've learned over the years to have a set up ready for every wind condition.

I may hunt WV in the morning and go with my daughter in the evening. I don't get too serious early on even though I hunt every chance I can...just to be out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not one stand for an Easterly wind. I see it has some sort of an east wind forecasted until like Wednesday or Thursday next week. This is going to suck and I will have to do some searching to figure out where to setup because I be damned if I am sitting in this house after season rolls in lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am golden. I couldn't be any happier with the winds predicted. Our set up for Saturday evening is going to be best with a NE, or SW wind... You figure that one out. :) If ever there was a set up where a good one would stumble in thinking he had the wind, this is it. Saturday morning we are hunting a patch of white oaks, we'll see deer but doubt seriously we'll be shooting any. Saturday night, well, we are hopeful.

doublej

Messes me up a bit but got a little time to change up my tactics..should still work for my pm spot though and that's all that really matters because I'm confident I'll kill then. Still iffy on my am setups

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Wind is perfect for our blind setup! Trying to get my buddy his first deer Saturday morning then I'm off to hunt another property in the evening.

higbee13

new jersey
I know I live in nj but that's hilarious you mentioned the NE wind situation...I set up good percentage here for south which is what you usually get until late cot and we have had Ne or ene since opening day..it's killing me can't slip into my honeyholes

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
NE wind knocks me out of my regular hunting spots. I do have a backup about 100 yds. from the house for evening hunts in a W or E wind. Better than nothing but not by much.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
hunt for a couple of hours saturday....if I get an opportunity at one of the does, I will likely take the shot and fill the freezer early this year...I need to get that first deer kill with the bow!! very excited about deer hunting this year...found some great rubs last night, a crab apple tree and freshened up the scrapes!!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
East winds suck for us. Just the way our property lays there's very few places to set up for an east wind. The few sets we do have are not to good for mornings. Might just wait to hunt the afternoon. Suppost to be 83 where we hunt Saturday, partly cloudy. Have a couple new sets I been chomping at the bit to hunt but cant. And there all on food.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I am not ready yet, and if its hott, I am waiting it out for another week. I am not gonn a sit up there and potentially sweat all evening.

Same here, I only have two decent sets up this year and neither are great for the predicted winds. Will most likely let it cool down before I hit the stand this year.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not one stand for an Easterly wind. I see it has some sort of an east wind forecasted until like Wednesday or Thursday next week. This is going to suck and I will have to do some searching to figure out where to setup because I be damned if I am sitting in this house after season rolls in lol.

Brainstormed last night so I am good to go and ready for the start of the season.