Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goin on a Cow Elk hunt!

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Except I wont be doin the hunting.. I was asked to tag along with a camera and film the hunt. My buddy that owns the 3D course in Ky was drawn for an Eastern Ky Cow Elk, well I told him that if he needed me to film or anything to let me know. I was at his house today fixing a stand and he ask if I would film. We are leaving Oct 17th after he is done coaching HS football game. Opening day is Oct 18. Im pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I have never filmed a hunt, cant imagine its TOO hard, but never the less im a lil nervous. Hopefully he will come back with a bunch of Elk meat!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That will be a blast!!!! I spent a good deal of time working in the elk restoration area years ago...those are BIG hills, but at least they are covered with roads so I can't imagine a long pack out situation. I'd love to get a tag for KY! I'm sure you will have a great time, so great in fact you'll be putting in for a tag from next year till the day you die!:) Have fun!

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Thanks guys! I will snap as many pics as I can along with the footage.. If possable I will post it up here for all to see. Either they are increasing the number of tags or he got really lucky.. This is the first year he put in for it and his number got called. He found an outfitter through a friend of his. $700 for the "guided" hunt, and they do everything but shoot it for you. I dont think that is too bad considering that includes the processing as well. The mount should he decide to do it, is on him.

Brock I was seriously considering putting in for it next year depending on how everything goes the rest of this year. I have a feeling after I do this hunt with him that I will be doing it reguardless haha.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've put in for the last 6 yrs ...and will continue to . If I ever draw I'll definitely use a guide . I have some friends from Ky who have drawn before and I'll use the guy they recommend . Have fun.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wrote up about a friend going to KY in 2013. He met a outfitter at the checkin and got a foolproof hunt for $1000 with no elk no pay plan. The outfitter took him to the lease and shot a cow in 30 minutes.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow.. 30min is a fast way to spend a 1000$ lol. It's good he got a cow though.

Like he said he drove all the way from Toledo to KY it was just a wise investment bringing about 400 lbs. of good elk meat home. There was another outfitter for $500 but it was a luck of the draw so he went with the $1000 of no elk no pay deal.