Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Campfire Smoke

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I think so too. That's the best theory I've ever heard about native Americans being able to shoot deer before the invention of Scent Killer spray and Walmart.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I think so too. That's the best theory I've ever heard about native Americans being able to shoot deer before the invention of Scent Killer spray and Walmart.

The scientific properties of the smoke, and what it does to scent was enough to sell me. Then throw in the fact that deer smell wood smoke all the time , especially in fall

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is exactly how I used to do it. Our out of state trips were a sight to see. I'd have my truck loaded down with wood for fires, with hunting gear stowed in the left over spaces. It always looked like a hobo camp once we arrived. We had clothes lines strung up like a spider web over our fire rings. :) It works, but does take time...it's worth it!

Treed

Stark County
Hey Dick.
I have an extra smoker if you'd like to give it a test drive. I'm putting metal roof on my house down in Carrollton this weekend so I'll be around if you'd like to stop by and pick it up.

The address is 1110 E. Center St. SW.

Take 332 South out of Carrollton for approximately 5 miles. Turn Right on Canyon road like you're going to Petersburg Marina down on Leesville Lake. (Canyon turns into Azalea) About a mile and a half down on the left hand side of the road is a little allotment called Hickory Grove. It's the only left turn off of Azalea road, there's a big sign out in front of it and a little red bridge crossing a creek. It's hard to miss. Turn into the allotment and take the dirt road back until it ends at a yellow two story. That's me back there. There will be a Black F150 sitting out front.

If you're down that way this weekend, you're more than welcome to come by and pick it up. Like I said, it's my extra one so if you want to borrow it for a while, feel free.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Josh, I may just do that. I will be down next weekend unless the weather gets ungodly hot, but most likely not this weekend. My cabin is close enough to you that we may be hunting some of the same bucks. If you are hunting the opening weekend let me know. If I'm down I'll drop by around lunch time.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You could use a fire but it's not nearly as efficient. You are going to have to hang your clothes there for at least an hour and stand in the smoke as much as possible to get it on you. Remember smoke is not only a cover scent but also an anti microbial. It's just as important that your hair and body contact the smoke. While you can use a fire it's going to take at least an hour compared to what you can do in 5 minutes with a smoker.