Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climbing Sticks - No Lone Wolf

Sqrl

Dayton OH
I researched climbing sticks to pack in and out with a mobile hang on set-up, after research ended up going with a set of 4 Lone Wolf sticks (I am aware you love your LW sticks).

They arrived last week and I took them out Sat and Sun to practice and get my routine dialed in. Well, they did not work for me, I am not a fan of the staggered steps (i.e. not having dual steps).

Does anyone have any experience with the Mantis climbing sticks by X-Stand? I like the dual angled steps, round edges, and versa button, but I am concerned about the hollow aluminum being loud like I have heard on the aluminum rapid rails.

If you have experience with the x-stand Mantis please let me know. If you have another suggestion for mobile set up please share.

Some criteria:
1) 31" or longer
2) 2 steps
3) Versa button or cleat/rope system like on Muddy's (don't know of any besides Muddy that has this)
4) Quiet

Thanks!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We sell Leverage sticks. I have sold several to members on the board. They have been well received. Dual steps, 32" long, quiet, light? Check, check, check. Versa buttom? Nope. BUT. . . I see no reason why you cannot buy some LW versa buttons from LW and add them to the sticks. I have added them to stands in order to secure my LW sticks onto a stand to pack in. Only reason I have LW sticks is because I bought them before I was a dealer for Leverage.

Not trying to welcome you to the site with a sales pitch. Buy them from whoever you want to if you are interested. I was just answering a question. Welcome to TOO!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
love the leverage....I have a 4 pack of 32" sticks....and a 4 pack of the 17" sticks...added the picture frame hangers and a gym bag shoulder strap to each, easy as pie to attach to my stand and carry in or (my personal routine) carry in by themselves and climb to my stand (left in place)...Thank you TOOZERS for showing me the light!

Sqrl

Dayton OH
All, thanks for providing feedback. If anyone has experience with the Mantis let me know; I will check ou the Leverages.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Lone wolf is the only way to go. Just sayin'
Truth be told, my biggest beef with the lone wolf sticks is that they don't have double steps. I've been waiting for muddy to release a three step fold up stick with the rope cam. That would be the ultimate stick, IMO.

A nice feature that not all sticks have is the swiveling feet. That makes a huge difference when you are climbing a tree that isn't completely straight.

Sqrl

Dayton OH
Fluteman,
I couldn't agree more. That seems to be what everyone wants, not sure why a manufacturer hasn't produced it yet. it doesn't seem to be a big secret. Also, I'd like to see rounded steps instead of the pointed ones; those make me nervous.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Fluteman,
I couldn't agree more. That seems to be what everyone wants, not sure why a manufacturer hasn't produced it yet. it doesn't seem to be a big secret. Also, I'd like to see rounded steps instead of the pointed ones; those make me nervous.
I have five LW sticks and one of the small Muddy sticks. I usually carry four LW and the Muddy, and will use the Muddy as my last stick so I have double steps to stand on and hang my stand. The Muddy will stack up with the LW sticks, and I just use the rope for the Muddy to secure it to the stack of LW sticks.

doublej

I too don't like lone wolf sticks..used them a few times and not for me.. don't fit all your requirements but I went with the Hawk Helium sticks and really really like them.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I too don't like lone wolf sticks..used them a few times and not for me.. don't fit all your requirements but I went with the Hawk Helium sticks and really really like them.
Do the feet on them swivel, or are they stationary on the stick? I like the looks of those sticks, and was curious. Thanks.

Sqrl

Dayton OH
I ended up buying the Field and Stream Cyclone sticks which look to be exactly the same as the Hawk Helium but w/ a versa button (3 pack on sale at Dicks for $59). I also ordered the aluminum rapid rails and plan to keep the one I like best when the rapid rails come in.

doublej

Do the feet on them swivel, or are they stationary on the stick? I like the looks of those sticks, and was curious. Thanks.

They fold inward to pack up nice and neat

And yea those cyclone sticks look almost identical! Wish I'd a known about them before hand, kind of prefer the versa button also..nevertheless I'm sure you'll like them

Last edited:

nodeal

I'm happy so far with my Muddy sticks. Just got them this fall, so I haven't had a chance to hunt with them yet, but they seem nice enough. They go up quickly and easily, pack together nice and tight, and seem well made.