Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GREAT STAND.......or not?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Welp Ive been doing something dangerous again.....thinking!haha

I have a question for all you big buck killin machines! (almost everyone on here haha)

I have a stand I hung last time I was home. It is way back in the corner of the farm, it is 60 yards off a big hay field, next to a 800 acre clear cut, on top of 3 sided ridge. (1 side is a steep cliff). IF you an picture this in your head you can see why I titled it this way. The only way to get to this stand is a long walk, next to a clear cut, through some thick brush, up this ridge. Now, I cleared a nice path and all.

My question.

How do you all get to stands that you know are in good areas, but are just deep in the woods?
Mornings?
Evenings?
Midmorning till dark?

I just have thought and thought, and cant come up with a solid idea I am happy with on this. HELP!!

Thanks yall,

Albert

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Is it safe to walk it in the dark and how far of a walk is it?

sorry I should have been more clear.

not sure on distance, its a solid 30min walk, its down into one holler, up the ridge to the next. I would say it is safe to walk in the dark, I know it like the back of my hand, and flagged trail every 4 or 5 feet to be clear on it. Also use the STHL to cut up dead falls so you have a clear walk in.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
What made you hang it there? Funnel? Food? Bedding? That kind of influences my decision on access and timing.

1. This entire ridge is Oaks.
2. Next to huge hay field with pond that has a few fingers coming into it like hedgerows (good bedding there)
3. Next to 800 acre clear cut so only oaks around and clear cut is now 3 years old so its 8ft high, good bedding.
4. Funnel. Due to nature of the cliff/ridge/field if deer want to stay between clear cut and drop off they come across this ridge. Good sign there as well.

I know there is deer there, my issue is do you just go for it, and try to stay stealthy?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse, I can honestly say/bet my life that it is AS GOOD of a deer set I have ever put in an area. It gets a check mark in every spot, now I just need the deer, and to make the shot! :smiley_clap:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My best stands have the best access either through preseason prep and/or natural features like creeks, high weeds, or drainages. I try not to hunt these stands until prime time. If I'm hunting a morning, I make sure to leave so that I'm on stand 30 minutes before shooting light. If its an evening hunt, I still hunt the last 100 yards and try to be one stand 2.5-3 hours before last light and will often slip out before its completely dark if I'm certain no deer are around. I carry a coyote call to scare deer off if I'm covered up. For all day sits, I usually wait to leave the truck until first light and still hunt in. Deer rarely move past these stands until late morning, so leaving a little later on an all day sit makes it easier for me to sit the rest of the day.

Something like that I would hunt later the end of Oct. and through November and get in way early and sit all day. Early season I think I would hunt afternoons and get to it as if I am just strolling through the woods until I get near and then still hunt my way in.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks everyone. I think the access to this stand isnt horrible in the fact that I marked/cut a nice trail to it. Only think that worries me is, its walking through the entire property.

I have been hoping to hunt in early afternoons and stay till dark. So I like the advice you all gave. I also planned if I did try a morning, it would need to be VERY early so I was there for a nice long sit.

Something like that if I were headed out in the afternoon to hunt I'd just go at a leisurely stroll and if you do spook a deer on the way just keep walking. I'm not good enough to still hunt my way in for a long distance and that to me if you spook one sends a message you are hunting them. Then once you get within a hundred yards or so turn it over to still hunt mode and work hard at it til you get there.

Give yourself plenty of time, you would want to be in the stand well before daylight to let things settle down. I wouldn't dress in your full outfit untill you get to your stand, you will probably sweat a lot. Spray down once you get to your stand and you should be fine.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for all the tips! I am going to have my uncle hunt it since it is honestly probably the best place in about a mile to kill a big buck early season. Its a 400+ yard oak flat that turns into a funnel by the stand.

1. time it will get hunted early season, then not till NOV.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like the perfect all dayer stand to me Albert! Starting 10-25 go in with a flashlight with a green or red lens as quietly as you can and hunt it from dark to dark only when the wind is best for that particular stand. Sounds like a great location and THIS is where you have a great chance of killing a slobberknocker, just hunt it smart and keep your head on a swivel and don't let the big boy catch you off guard.

This sounds like a killer set! GOOD LUCK!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sounds like the perfect all dayer stand to me Albert! Starting 10-25 go in with a flashlight with a green or red lens as quietly as you can and hunt it from dark to dark only when the wind is best for that particular stand. Sounds like a great location and THIS is where you have a great chance of killing a slobberknocker, just hunt it smart and keep your head on a swivel and don't let the big boy catch you off guard.

This sounds like a killer set! GOOD LUCK!

Thank you! Family has owned farm for 5 years, this place has never even had a camera hung, I probably should set one up there, but its just kinda tough to get too. I know deer move through there, even in August, we were just finding piles and piles of deer shit. I am excited about this set!