Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day strategy

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I was hoping I could get some advice on this one.

I have a doe (with 2 fawns) that escaped an arrow last year in the late season. I originally was going to keep this to myself because I thought nobody would believe me but I'll say it anyway. I had a 20 yard shot broadside and the arrow hit a tiny twig- about the only one around- and somehow shot the doe's tail off directly at the base. The tail has been in my shed and the doe is still around and comes back every night before dark and just hangs out in my yard by the apple trees. I've seen her probably a couple dozen times in broad daylight and she is on my cam every day, sometimes multiple times.

I have my blind in the backyard with corn scattered around (about 150 lbs of it right now) 20-30 yards in front of the blind. She's there all the time so I think she's bedded down real close. I have pictures of her in the early morning before sun up, sometimes in the middle of the day and literally every night before dark and then multiple times throughout the night after dark. I would really like to get set up a couple hours before dark on opening day and finish this doe off.

I can walk through my mowed grass up to the blind on the edge of the woods but I'm afraid she'll see me coming/climbing into the blind and run off. Considering maybe riding the lawn mower by a couple times to hopefully run her off then smoking up and getting in the blind so she has time to come back and I can get a shot.

For the record I do not like wounding deer and this has been bothering me through the whole off season. I'm glad she survived and we now have 2 fawns running around but I'd like to finish what I started and get her right off the bat this year.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 90

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How do you usually go back to dump the corn? whatever you do she is used to that. If you ride a quad do the same thing to include dumping new corn but have someone else take you back there. They leave and you stay.

rsmith

How do you usually go back to dump the corn? whatever you do she is used to that. If you ride a quad do the same thing to include dumping new corn but have someone else take you back there. They leave and you stay.

What he said, if your dumping corn at 2 or 3 in the afternoon, just hop in the blind than and bring your phone and play some games to pass time, or do what I'm going to do and bring your laptop and pull the card by your feeder and look at them as well to pass some time and give you a little more motivation if that's even possible .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Imitate the corn drop like Joe said and you should be good. I'd say even if she saw you, she'd come back if you went in early enough.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
That sounds good. I have been scattering some about every saturday mid day. I will just walk by the blind, dump some corn then go sit in the blind till dark. Thanks guys.