Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control

angelzd28

I know a lot of you guys use the scent smoker, but was wondering at what point do most of you wash in scent free detergent and store away in a plastic bin. Is it to early to do this and then spray your clothes down right before going out. Last year I would spray my stuff down and let it hang outside overnight or during the day, then give it another spray down right before heading to my stand. Just seeing what everyone does and when they do it?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Just washed mine up. I put them on the line a few days. Smoke them up then put them in a tote with more smoke. Then smoke up again directly before I head to the stand.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I wash my clothes and body with scent killer soaps. I smoke my clothes in bins and then when I get out to my location. Always.

I run a load or two of laundry through the machine with Sport Wash before washing my hunting gear, my towel for showering an maybe some sweats to wear on the ride in the truck. I will sometimes use HS spray or homemade scent spray.I believe the Scent smoker is effective.But aint been able to order one cause money is tight , since work cut out most of my overtime..I will have one sooner or later.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I run my towels and travel clothes through with warm water and baking soda before washing my clothes in the same. I have a Rubbermaid storage closet in my garage where I smoke and store my stuff. I use a smaller tote when traveling to and from my hunting spots. I shower before every hunt and wash my clothes after every second or third wear. I smoke up before every hunt and don't use sprays. I use Evercalm on my boots. This system has let me go largely undetected for the last 4 seasons. I don't even worry about getting busted any more...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wash my gear before the season. I also "condition" the washer and dryer with the last few loads of laundry using scent free detergent and dryer sheets. I make sure the lint tray is clear of any lint. I wash my hands in scent free soap prior to putting them in the rubbermaid tote. I am pretty anal about it. Then I smoke them up. Makes sense right? Wash the scent out of them and then smoke them up? hahaha Whatever works. THIS works. I second the Evercalm on the boots. Good stuff.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wash all of mine in baking soda and throw them in a tote. When I get to my spot I get dressed and smoke up each layer and myself really good for the first hunt. Soon as I get back to the truck I put them back in the tote if they're not sweaty. Smoke up normally when going on the next hunt. Early season I'll wash the outer layers a few times but I always try to wear newly washed base and first layers. I quit pre smoking years ago as I could never get the amount correct and always over smoked them to where they got sour after a hunt or two.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wash everything in sport soap. Smoke everything and then re-smoke before each hunt. Since I walk to all my hunts from the house I smoke up all my inner and light outer layer. Plus I smoke up my heavy outer layers and carry these to my hunt site and dress there. I even open my backpack and fill it with smoke and zip up.
I shower with unscented soap and shampoo. But I never gave it a thought to wash my towels with unscented soap but will start this year. But my wife really isn't into this special wash thing so I do it myself.
I'm a firm believer in the Evercalm on the boots and use a drag walking in and hang the drag on my ladder. Even last year my buck was 20 yds. down wind on a trail and stopped 2 times to smell then walked straight towards me and I think coming towards the Evercalm smell and I shot him at 12 yds.
I haven't been busted in 2 yrs. using this method by any deer that I know of. Ands that's over 300 hrs. in the field deer hunting.