Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pitting in Muzzy Barrel

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Asking for my boss. He has some pitting in his barrel near the breach. Is it safe to shoot?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hard to say without seeing it. If the pitting gets to deep then it will blow apart so I would say take it to somebody and let them look at it if he has any doubt. Not something to mess around with.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like it has been said depends on how deep the pits are and the number of them. It happens when BP rifles aren't cleaned completely after firing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
There's nothing you can do to fix it once a barrel is pitted correct?

Bore it out to a larger caliber to try and get past the pitting if it isn't to bad but you can only go so big before the walls are to thin and unsafe to use. At least in the older guns you could do that but in todays guns I don't know that they leave much room to do that.

I got my Traditions muzzy last year for around $300 and that thing is light as can be and I can carry it around all day with no worries. Tell him to go get a new one lol.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
my traditions hawken in.50cal had pitting in the barrel...I would clean the hell out of that thing, oil it, bore butter it and it still rusted and pitted the inside...apparently, this is common with the old octagon barrels...didn't know that till the person that bought it taught me about what I was selling...Oh well, he was fine with buying them as they went to a great youth org.