Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early season mornings

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Whats ya'lls thoughts ? Seems like in most situations morning hunting during the beginning of the season does more harm than good. I rarely if ever morning hunt until at least mid Oct .

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm with you buddy. I will be out opening morning only because it's... well... opening morning. Other then that I'm not going to hunt mornings until about the 25th of October.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm with you buddy. I will be out opening morning only because it's... well... opening morning. Other then that I'm not going to hunt mornings until about the 25th of October.
Same here. I hunt opening morning because I wait 9 months to get there! After that, it'll be the end of October before I get back to hunting mornings.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Whats ya'lls thoughts ? Seems like in most situations morning hunting during the beginning of the season does more harm than good. I rarely if ever morning hunt until at least mid Oct .

I agree! If I had a back door to a big bucks bedroom and could slip out without getting busted I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

I do have one stand I would hunt only if we had a NE,N or NW wind and it sits over an oak flat. I can't set up anywhere for the S,SW or W wind due to lack of good trees.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I won't be hunting opening morning this year cause I'll be at work. Other than that, if I hunt mornings I try to stay away from areas that I expect more action later in the season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is it a bad thing to hunt early season mornings?
No, but it can easily do more harm than good if you don't have solid entry/exit routes. You just need to be careful to hunt smart this time of year and don't hunt TOO much. The best is yet to come, so no sense in getting to anxious and burning out stands in the first couple of weeks.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I usually always hunt mornings all season. We only have one property and its pretty small, 4-5 acres, so we don't really have any other options.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I hunt mornings for the first 2 weeks or so. Here in NH that's 9/15-9/30. The deer are still in summer patterns so it's worth it to try. I do short sits. No more than 2 hours and some times even less than that. The 2 spots I use have easy access so I don't have to stumble around in the dark. Once October hits I usually cut way back on my morning sits until 10/25 or so. Not because I think I'm doing harm by sitting in the morning but I just don't think it's productive.

PSE13

Shelby
I have many places too hunt and I hunt any one spot too much. I was just curious because I enjoy hunting the early season mornings.

teej89

NE PA
Never thought of this before... I've always hunted areas that I never had sole rights to so I'd just hunt every morning and evening possible. This season I was able to get 150 acres to hunt and I think I may change my tactic.

I'm going to hunt morning and evening saturday and morning on sunday cuz my dad will be in to hunt w/ me but you guys are saying after that only hunt the evenings until like the last week of october?

I have a lot of property to hunt and have stands I hunt in mornings and others I hunt in evenings. Having my property being in the family and hunting it my whole life is a big plus. I have spots to hunt for any wind direction, morning or evening. IMHO hunting early is a good time to kill a good buck before the testosterone starts pumping. I have one spot that is a bottle neck that they funnel through on their way back to bed , I have killed some nice bucks in the am early season there.

Killed this guy October 13th 2012 at 8:12 am. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410977978.458394.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410978008.797718.jpg

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I don't hunt morning at all until Mid-Late Oct. I've noticed that the deer are on their feet a lot more in the mornings based off my trail cams but having a solid route to and from without bumping deer is very hard this time of year. Most deer are still up feeding and if you have them patterned and know you can hunt a transition point between there and bed without spooking them then I'm all for it. Most of the big guys that I'm hunting are in bed before its shooting time and I wont risk slipping in just to see what I see when my trail cams tell me he's not there until evening times. He may be there in the morning but I will not go in and risk bumping him just to try and get a crack. The season is young and the grind has yet to start.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have a pretty good record for early season bucks in my area. I really like the mornings for the first week or so only because usually the evenings are so warm that your lucky to see a deer until dark thirty

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I hunt them on the weekends and only stands with the right wind and I hunt a lot of edges early. This way its easy in and easy out. Then come the end of October I try and move a little closer to the bedding areas. I just love to be in the stand any chance I get.

I hunt them on the weekends and only stands with the right wind and I hunt a lot of edges early. This way its easy in and easy out. Then come the end of October I try and move a little closer to the bedding areas. I just love to be in the stand any chance I get.

Same here Jake, I mainly hunt week ends due to work, but the wind and other factors dictate where I set up.