Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your opinion on this

rsmith

Okay, I have been reading online and still can't find a straight answer so I figured what better place to ask than here? I just threw 100 pounds of corn this afternoon in a pile on the ground in my food plot and it has been down pouring for the 8 hours now, should I scoop that corn up and get rid of it and put down fresh corn or should I just let it be? The reason I ask is because I don't want the deer to lose interest on my spot because of bad corn and go to another feeder, secondly I don't want it to go bad and for it to just sit back their for the next week and a half and not have the deer hit it like they would if it wasn't soaking wet and soggy. I'm just trying to get a opinion on this so I can figure out if having this corn out is okay or if I should just move that corn and put some new down

rsmith

And by threw out I mean dumped in a 8 foot long by 2 foot wide pile, should I just go back and throw it around and spread it out so it will dry up a little better?

teej89

NE PA
Haha I'm picturing you scooping up kernels of corn in your plot. But don't worry they'll eat it.

I normally spread mine out over an area and not pile it up btw. Makes it harder for them to eat it all in one stand.

Huckleberry Finn

Now when it comes to beans, deer really love those after a good rain and you'll see them out there instead of a corn field.

rsmith

Haha I'm picturing you scooping up kernels of corn in your plot. But don't worry they'll eat it.

I normally spread mine out over an area and not pile it up btw. Makes it harder for them to eat it all in one stand.

That's why I specify I looked back and was like someone is going to read that wrong haha but I think I may go back tomorrow afternoon and make sure I scent free myself and go back and spread it around a little better with a old coffee can than put my last bushel of apples out and stay out for the next week and a half till I have to replenish the corn again

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It'll likely be ok how you have it spread out. I prefer to spread it out more but you'll be fine. Even if it gets old they'll still eat it and it won't spook them of it's too old.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I agree with Joe. I spread my corn or feed out thin. I figure they will stick around longer if they have to get one piece at a time vs. a mouthfull.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would leave it. They will eat it and what they don't eat the coon will.

I spread mine out over a pretty good area just for the fact if it is in a small area you will get ONE doe in there that will claim it and run every other deer off until she is DONE with her fill.

rsmith

Okay, I didn't mess with it I figured since it will be sunny for the next couple days it will be good so I just threw some apples down on top of the corn than make a nice pile of apples and stepped on a few of them to get some of the scent in the air.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Okay, I didn't mess with it I figured since it will be sunny for the next couple days it will be good so I just threw some apples down on top of the corn than make a nice pile of apples and stepped on a few of them to get some of the scent in the air.

Should be good to go then.

Corn is typically found by deer, in piles, so it's natural.

Apples are best spread around, just like they've dropped from a tree. I've had bad results from an apple pile. This response can be regional too, so it may depend on your area.

Bowhunter57

at1010

*Supporting Member*
As the rest said you'll be fine bub. Also if it's the plot you've had pictures of, the deer are in there often always. Between coons and deer they will eat up that corn quick!

They will actually eat the green tonnage around the corn as well! Down to the dirt. You'll be fine! Goodluck!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
And who would that be?

Hate to burst your bubble but that will not last long here.

I agree who the fuck is this guy? Must be gd moutain man.

As a sportsman and hunter we have enough ppl fighting against us, let's try to help one another not put each other down

Ps. Not at you red cloud. Refering to rbwd!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I agree who the fuck is this guy? Must be gd moutain man.

As a sportsman and hunter we have enough ppl fighting against us, let's try to help one another not put each other down

Ps. Not at you red cloud. Refering to rbwd!

I knew who it was directed at. No worries lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Deer Warning.jpg