Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

propane heater

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Anybody out there know what kind of propane heater I should be getting for the blind. It's for my brother in law and I for our blind it's a Barronett grounder 350. Trying to see what is best to get my money's worth.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I use a Mr. Heater with 1 lb. tank and a hose connection for a 20 lb. tank in my bigger tower. I also have used a 45 yr. old brown cotton double wide sleeping bag opened and lay it across me when it's really cold.
I noticed Sportsman Guide has a nice sleeping bag with hood and arms on it. I may even get on of those. Hell a lot cheaper than the other brand bag.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...r-sleeping-bag-with-arms-olive-drab?a=1692035

Ted if you and Dustin want to order any of theses bags let me know and I'll order one to.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Buddy heater here as well. They have the single or double burner style. I have the single and it worked alright until it got really cold then I wished I had the double burner lol

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Ok sounds good. If any places they have on sale for buddy heater let me know, thanks ya'll.

epe

Lancaster
Buddy heaters are ok. Have two of them. For the real cold, Mr heater makes one called a cooker. It goes up to 15k btu. It is around $45. I strap it to my back pack. ALOT more mobile and lightweight.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just bought a Big Buddy Heater with the fan blower built in. Use them all the time in the duck blind.
That's the one I bought for $99 at Dunham's a couple years back. I've got my money out of it a few times! When I fell in the river last year when it was below zero, that thing was a God send!

Back when we hunted the UP of Mich. some guys would take propane grills for heat, using 20 lb. tanks to fuel. Of course they would clean them up real good or even buy one brand new just for that. Heck, you could even toast your sandwich on it if ya wanted to! The Buddy Heaters have the low oxygen sensors I believe though which is a good idea if you close up the blind a lot on real cold days.

Haha I pictured people sitting next to a full size grill trying to keep warm lol

LOL I thought that's where you were going so I thought I better clarify LOL! Every so often you can find little propane ice shanty heaters that work real well too. That's what the guys I hunted with back then preferred but when they couldn't find them that's when the little portable grills came in handy LOL.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio

I have the same heater but it's green. Works great but in a blind last year with temps well below zero I wished I had the hose and bigger tank. If I'm still chasing deer that late in the year again I will get the hose and set a tank outside the blind with camo netting on it or something. The small tanks seemed to last 3 hours or so then started making a spitting noise and flickering then they shut off. The little igniter makes a loud click which I didn't like but it kept me warm.