Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mock Scrapes?

Treed

Stark County
Does anybody use them? My wife came home with a Magnum Scrape Dripper and some Active Scrape scent she won in some raffle. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot since there's really nothing to lose. I've never set up a mock scrape before. I've seen a lot of scrapes so I have the general idea of what to do I'm just not sure when it should be done. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I tried the Magnum last year for the first time and wasn't impressed. I have had more luck kicking the dirt with my boots and taking a healthy piss in the bare dirt...

Treed

Stark County
I tried the Magnum last year for the first time and wasn't impressed. I have had more luck kicking the dirt with my boots and taking a healthy piss in the bare dirt...

Rofl....awesome. Good times. I was kind of wondering if it's just more gimmicky shit to hang in a tree. I'm still going to fill it up and hang it, scrape the ground around it and maybe throw a cam in front of it. The way things are looking right now, it may not help but it certainly won't make things any worse.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I've used them the last 2 years with mixed results. 2 years ago I got some pictures of a decent buck visiting it multiple times the first two weeks of November. Last year I upped my game and created mock scrapes in October and then put drippers on them in November. This produced nothing. I haven't used them enough to give a definitive answer but I can tell you I'm not using them this year. It gets expensive to keep them going. Last year I ordered a season's worth of scent for 2 drippers from Amazon and it cost around $100. I then thought to myself WOW you just spent a c-note on bottles of piss. I honestly felt pretty stupid at that point.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep I start mine every year around first of Sept. Have great results with getting bucks to take them over. Great way to get pics of what bucks are around.I set them up close to my stand sites and just freshen them up with some lure on the way in or out from hunting. Just find a good overhanging branch and rake an area out under it and apply some Good Deer lure. Try some JVS Wallhanger gel and Scrape gel just takes a liitle bit.Put a little WH on the limbs and some Scrape gel down in the scrape.I have been using their lures since the late 80s.I get a ton of pics on my mock scrapes every year.Look up my trailcam thread from last season and you will see some bucks working my mock scrapes.Good luck and use good lures not junk.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I've used it one time. I got bucks rubbing and scraping in the same spot and area. Seemed to work. Didn't help me shoot any though. Just got cool pics out of it

Treed

Stark County
Well my wife's been hearing me moan about the lack of activity on my cams for a month now so she had a few things to choose from and chose this scrape dripper. I went ahead and followed Boadheads advice and got me some JVS Wallhanger and JVS Scrape as well. I might as well make a few of them and see what happens.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

I have a dripper and used it one year. Didn't do much with the mock scrape scent. The following year I just found a branch that was over a deer travel trail and relieved myself on the way into my stand and again that evening on the way out. Couple days later it started to get some activity. A couple weeks after that and it was in full use by the deer. Been doing that every year since then and it works just fine for me.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just came in from out missing a few squirrels. I had to pee while out there & one of my trail cams just happened to be nearby, so I decided to make a mock scrape in front & we'll see what happens. I can't wait to show you guys the beginning to the end....lol

You have to find a good tree/bush with a good licking branch on well traveled route or need a bedding area where a lot of deer will be. Start with doe and buck urine before moving to an estrus scent.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Or piss in it for free. Not that scents and can't work, but after a decade of running cameras over scrapes with various scents and other "gimmicks", my own urine is just as effective.