Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Theft

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
Looking for some ideas on how to catch a camera thief. Having the same issue as last year....got me for 2 more cams last trip to camp. I hoping someone has some insight. Tracking devices perhaps? I will do whatever it takes to get the job done. At this point theft probably totals $1800. Dirty bastard!!!!!

Ricer2231

Hang a dummy camera where they're swiping them from, one that's busted or whatever. Then hang one high in a tree angled down to watch the dummy one. They won't no the difference if they're stealing a good one or a junker until they've had their pic taken. Just make sure to get the good cam high enough that they can't get to it and then call the law on the thievin bastards!

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
That is definitely a possible way and honestly my second choice. Does anyone make a tracking device, micro chips,etc? I'm sure with today's technology there has to be something out there. I'm willing to spend the money to have this Scum pay the piper.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Try the spypoint cameras. They have cameras that have wireless backup so you pictures are saved elsewhere so you will be able to see who the thief is even if the camera is gone. Or their cameras that have a "live" access. You can have access to everything through smart phone or computer. Only downside is that the cameras are on the pricey side. But if it helps you stop a thief it would be worth the investment.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Try the spypoint cameras. They have cameras that have wireless backup so you pictures are saved elsewhere so you will be able to see who the thief is even if the camera is gone. Or their cameras that have a "live" access. You can have access to everything through smart phone or computer. Only downside is that the cameras are on the pricey side. But if it helps you stop a thief it would be worth the investment.

I would go with this route or the dummy cam route. No way I would give them a chance to steal a pricey wireless cam unless your sure you could get a good pic of their face and would be able to get them for a felony theft charge out of it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had this happen once so the next yr I caught the neighbors son a stealing stand and camera by hanging a cam up in tree facing my other one.Tried to deny it till I pulled the pics out.lol Got all my stuff back after the sheriff paid them a visit.They ended up in foreclosure and then the lowlifes went back and tore all the wiring out of the house.Freaking lowlife thieves.Sure is nice not having them there anymore. Good luck and give that a try it worked for me.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
I briefly looked into it as well. Looks like it might be the way to go. Xbow, if you find anything out on these please let me know, my wife and I are getting ready to have our second child which means I will be preoccupied for a bit. First things first....then I am gonna get this chump

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I briefly looked into it as well. Looks like it might be the way to go. Xbow, if you find anything out on these please let me know, my wife and I are getting ready to have our second child which means I will be preoccupied for a bit. First things first....then I am gonna get this chump
Will do! And good luck on the delivery.

teej89

NE PA
Not sure if it's an option money wise but buy a cam that sends texts to you when it takes a pic. Hang it high pointing at a dummy cam and if you live close to the property just wait for it to take a pic of them then head on over and wait for em(maybe w/ some back up) at their truck.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO, the dummy cam is the way to roll. SpyPoint sells them. Then make the mount like Ric (xbowguy) makes and use it to hang a cam up in the tree nearby to monitor it.

fordman1996

the dummy cam one is a great idea! just make sure its somewhere not easily visible. something as small as a 22 can ruin the other good cameras day! but Ive had one stolen and recovered before. and had 2 stolen by bears. found 1 300 yards away at a later date all chewed up! lol good luck!