Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snakes? Pfft.....Try a Brown Recluse!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Brown Recluse bite

A buddy here at work said his 6'4" 240 LB son complained of a boil like mark under his arm near his arm pit last Thursday. Thinking it was an infected or ingrown hair or possibly a boil he put it off thinking nothing about it. Within 24 hours the area got much redder and became very inflamed with a high fever developing with a 103 degree temperature. His son contacted them and his mother took him into the doctors office on Saturday and they cleaned it out and gave him some antibiotics and sent him home. By Sunday morning he was much worse and his mother took him to ER where he was admitted. It was then identified as a spider bite and treated as a Brown Recluse bite and a pump was placed on the wound after it was cut out and cleaned. He will be out of commission for 4 more weeks. This is a pic of the wound after it was cleaned up on Sunday. BTW, he lived in an old apartment building that lost power for a day in Bellvue Ky.

The BR spider is one nasty Motha Fugga!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, the bite also developed into a staff infection and was growing towards his heart area. I think that's not a good thing either as if he waited much longer he might have died....YIKES!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Oh, the bite also developed into a staff infection and was growing towards his heart area. I think that's not a good thing either as if he waited much longer he might have died....YIKES!

Staph infections are no joke, I had one on my arm and it started eating my flesh. I got on some antibiotics and it cleared up, but I still have a nickel size scar from it.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Sorry to hear that. It looks bad. I had a friend in high school that was bite by a BR on his food at is was very similar. They had to cut out a bunch a tissue and tons of antibiotics. They are some nasty spiders.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Those are nothing to mess with that's for sure. Neither is staff. My wife got staff when our daughter was in the hospital. At first they thought it was BR bite but the antibiotics weren't doing anything then they found out it was staff. Ended up with four days in the hospital and having three spots on her legs lanced like your buddies son. Glad they figured it out and hope he recovers quickly.

Treed

Stark County
One of my wives aunts died from a staph infection. This was years ago, before we met, but from what I understand it's no joke. I hope your buddies boy has a quick recovery. My goodness....fuggin spiders. I absolutely hate spiders. Snakes, rats, dead things, all that other shit, no problem....but spiders make my skin crawl.