Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost two trees

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well I knew it was only a matter of time but this summer I lost my two ash trees. The emerald ash bore took its toll. I have been at this property for 11 years now and it is kinda saddening to see these trees go. One played a major role for the house as it was directly behind the west side of the house and was a excellent shade tree for the house. I have been working in the evenings to slowly get it to where I felt safe to drop it without it landing on the house or the garage. Dropped it last night and have been cutting on it tonight. Got another half a day worth of work to get it cut, stacked and the brush cleaned up.

uploadfromtaptalk1410570034073.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410570054764.jpg

The second one is the largest and oldest tree on the property. If you have been to one of my get together in November then you know the tree. The tree the bonfire lights up.

uploadfromtaptalk1410570138124.jpg

It takes three grown men to reach around the trunk of this tree. This will be the weekend after next project. Get a lift in here and get it dropped to the ground at least.

Should have plenty of stuff for the November get together bonfire, may be the biggest yet!!!!!!! :p

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Bummer dude. I have two dead ones to take out myself. The big maple in the front of the house that blocks the evening sun got hit by lightening not once, but twice.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea sorry to hear.. I had 4 ash trees taking down this summer due to ash bore. It sucks, it took away my shade in the evenings. All 4 of the bases were right around 30" diameter.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The one I dropped was 26" at its widest. That is about 2 1/2' off the ground due to wanting to something decorative with the trunk.

uploadfromtaptalk1410571493884.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The one I dropped was 26" at its widest. That is about 2 1/2' off the ground due to wanting to something decorative with the trunk.

View attachment 23875

You might want to check on leaving the stump. I was told a tree with ash bore had to be taken all the way out stump and all. The beetles live in the trunk and down into the stump and will continue to eat at it until there is nothing left. Did you all find any live bugs or larva while cutting it up?

If I remove an ash tree, what do I do with the
stump?
Since ash tree stumps can remain living, and EAB larvae
live in the cambium layer underneath the bark, it is strongly
recommended to grind the stump out. Applying herbicide to
the stump is another alternative, and debarking the stump as
low as possible to the ground is a third option.

http://www.ci.anoka.mn.us/vertical/...ds/{4C7A6EB8-1838-4287-BDD8-1344D52E92D7}.PDF

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You might want to check on leaving the stump. I was told a tree with ash bore had to be taken all the way out stump and all. The beetles live in the trunk and down into the stump and will continue to eat at it until there is nothing left. Did you all find any live bugs or larva while cutting it up?

At this point it's a lost cause for all ash trees. The few beetles remaining in the bark of the stump pale in comparison to the numbers surrounding us for hundreds of miles.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I am always saddened by the loss of an grand old tree.
Sorry to read about this.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am going to the last option and debark the stump.

I found larva in there after pulling some of the bark off.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sad to hear Steve! I've cut up several dead ash on our property already but they weren't providing us shade either.