Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Owners of Street Legal Golf Carts

I understand (heard it in a golf cart store) that in 2015 there is supposed to be a state wide ordinance or O.R.C. provision that will allow street legal golf carts to be used in any city, town, village, etc. However, these street legal golf carts will be subject to all traffic rules, seat belts, roads with less than 35 m.p.h. and will still be considered a SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle).

I'm considering the purchase of a street legal gas golf cart, in the next 30 days. Of those of you that own one, are there any "down sides" to owning one? My wife and I are planning on taking it to community garage sales, the water dog races, huge flea markets, etc.

I'm currently looking at a GC dealership in Ada, that purchases golf carts and adds the accessories you request. The prices there start around $2000 and go as up as the accessories are add

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

If we had a dime for every promised law we had, we'd be rich. Wait til it passes before you put good money into it if you're soley going to use it for that purpose (sounds like you have other uses though)

Buckmaster

Portage
Some community members use them around my little local village. No issues I'm aware of. Some have license plates, some have slow moving signs. Most are grocery-getters.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We have a few running around our village as well. The two people that I know called and inquired about "street legal", all have them tagged with license plates, turn signals, brake and tail lighting, head lights, etc. I haven't seen any with seat belts though.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My SIL lives in Lakeview on Indian Lake and there are 100's of golf carts running around. All have a license tag, lights, horn and I believe turn signals. Never seen seat belts.

Mooosie

Unless something has changed it has always been legal to drive them on the street but just like tractors you have to have a slow moving sigh on the back and you can't go over 25 miles an hour

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Take the title to a deputy registrar in that county. If all is in order, the deputy registrar will issue license plates.

Operate the golf cart or other USV in accordance with O.R.C. Chapter 4511 and with the equipment required by O.R.C. 4513.

Note: If USV’s are operated only on private roads, the operational equipment and registration requirements would generally not apply. All motor vehicles operated on public streets and highways are subject to inspection by O.A.C. 4501:2-1 through 4501:2:1-21. The obligation of the political subdivision that undertake motor vehicle inspections are contained in part O.A.C. 4501:1-03.

Ohio Revised Code Concerning Golf Carts & Under Speed Vehicles

Requires valid driver’s license for any operation of a motor vehicle on public or private property – ORC 4507.02A(1)-4510.12A(1)

Must show proof of insurance – ORC 4509.101A(1)

Must be equipped with rear tail lights (only 1 required). ORC 4513.05

Must have a light to illuminate license plate and make license plate legible from a distance of 50 feet. ORC 4513.05

Must have at least one working brake light. ORC 4513.071

Must have two headlights. ORC4513.04

Must have a horn. ORC 4513.21

Must have a rear mirror. ORC 4513.23

Must have a windshield (glass or safety glass). ORC 4513.24

Must have directional signals. ORC 4513.261

Must have brackets for mounting two license plates (front & rear). ORC 4503.21

Once licensed, golf carts and other under speed vehicles (USV’s) may only be operated on public streets in unincorporated areas. They may not be operated in incorporated areas unless the incorporated areas have an ordinance allowing their use on public streets. They also may not be operated on any public street or highway where the posted speed limit is higher that 35MPH. ORC 4519.40.