Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How do you deside

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I posted some pictures in the trail cam section, imo, Only one of the bucks in the pictures is a shooter, Because he's mature. The others have some decent racks but are not mature, Some of people in the post seem to think they are all shooters, While I'll admit, At one time I'd have shot any of them, I wont anymore. I've been deer hunting for 33 years now and have shot many bucks, Over the year I have set my goals higher each year as I've passed on the smaller bucks and waited for a bigger buck, It has paid off for me every year until last year, 2013 was the first year in a very long time that I didn't tag a buck. I did see the biggest buck I'd ever seen in the woods last year, The neighbor killed him the day after I seen him but didn't tell anyone till a month later. Needless to say I was hunting a true goast for a month. That buck scored 196 with many points broken off.
My goal is 150 inches, If there not mature or 150" I pass on them unless its a buck that I know from years of pictures that the buck will never get any bigger, But by this time they are usually mature bucks any way. Also had a half racked buck that I would have shot given the chance because he only grew one side 2 years in a row.
We are lucky to have a very good piece of property to hunt, And we have taken many good bucks off of it. Some years are better then others but every year we take atleast one good buck. Trail cameras have a lot to do with it. I allows me to know most of the bucks in our area, After seeing what a buck can gain in one year I started passing a lot more bucks. It has paid of for us.
Everyone has different goals, Mine is to shoot only mature bucks. It's hard to eat a tag, But I always know theres a bigger buck out there, Even if I don't have a picture of one. And if I eat my tag I'm good with it.
Some might not like my ways, But It has taken a lot of years to get to this goal, I've worked my way up.

I know that everyone on here may not have the quality of bucks that we do, But a lot of the reason we do is because we pass a lot of bucks and it pays off.

What are your goals this year?

I try to break it down based on what our camera surveys show what has been hanging around. If there are any that I would shoot then those are what I look for other than the unknown buck that comes from somewhere else. Hopefully I can do a quick evaluation and see if a buck like that compares to one of the buck's I've already set my sights on.

As for how big I am looking for, it's mostly about age and maturity. I too have shot a lot of smaller bucks over the years but I still have room for some dandies. In general I'm looking for deer that would be 4 1/2 or older. Easy to say that when I struggle at times for aging on the hoof.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been deer hunting for 48 yrs. now. Up until 2012 I always shot the 1st deer I seen. So I've over the years I shot a lot of smaller bucks. It wasn't until 2012 when I started bow hunting in earnest that I started passing on smaller bucks as I wanted my 1st bow kill buck to be a nice one.
I believe I passed on 7 small bucks in 2012 and 3 in 2013 before I took my nice 8 point.
I shall continue to do so as I hunt in the future. I just enjoy hunting and now I can deer hunt 150 days each year and not the 10-14 days during gun season. This way I can pick my days and not be stuck with a certain season.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
We'll I'm a I slightly different boat. This is my 3rd year hunting and I have only shot 1 buck (114") 8pt. The first year I went bow hunting I didn't shot anything. My goals are to get a big doe for the freezer and try to get a buck that betters mine from 2013. I would love for a 150" buck to come by me. I don't have any on trail cams tho.

Treed

Stark County
Meat in the freezer.
Enjoy time with family and friends.
Mature deer. My cams are fuggin dismal this year though. That may be a feat.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My goal is to kill 4+ year old deer that I have history with, or something that is 140". Around here, deer don't get to be 140 unless they are 3-4 years old and for this area, a 3 year old deer is mature IMO. I still have never killed a 140" deer, but all 3 on my wall are 6.5 years old and that makes them trophies regardless of scores. (110", 129", 139") I'll gladly shoot a deer I don't have history with if he tickles my fancy when I see him. At this point in my career, I trust my field judging enough that I'm confident I'll shoot something in the 4+ and 140+ range. Especially after fugging up in 2010 and shooting a 130" 2.5 year old. Still pissed about that, but it served as a great reminder to know what I am shooting before I shoot and not just "think" I know.

As far as eating tags, that is part of life. It takes access, access, access to kill the deer you are talking about on an annual basis and that is for the 1%'rs. Of which I am not...

NEOhunter

This is only my 3rd year deer hunting and my second bow hunting. My goals are starting to change from my 1st year. The 1st year I went with a guy from church who takes his son out 2-3 times a year during gun season only. He taught me a lot about getting started but his philosphy was if you see a deer and you like it, shoot it. I think he felt that way because he only went a few times like I mentioned. I did get my first deer, a small doe that year. I've been hooked.

However now that I have a bow and can hunt more than a week I am starting to see the benefits of being more selective. I would like to get a doe and a buck this year. The doe for the freezer and a buck for the wall. I would love to shoot the 8 point I've been seeing on my trailcam. But something else may come around that gets my attention. I've got two properties to hunt and want to learn more about each property to continue to be successful.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Goal #1 every year for me is simply fill a tag and get meat in the freezer.

Goal#2 this year is to fill a buck tag. I have passed up small bucks the last 2 years and I do not like having that tag in my pocket come February. Most will scratch their heads, but I have no control over my neighbors and the montra of "If I don't shoot it, someone else will" fits the bill perfectly in north central ohio - QDM is nonexistant. I will only hold back this year if I get a consistent pattern on a shooter during bow season and I know for a fact noone is bowhunting surrounding properties.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Goal #1 every year for me is simply fill a tag and get meat in the freezer.

Goal#2 this year is to fill a buck tag. I have passed up small bucks the last 2 years and I do not like having that tag in my pocket come February. Most will scratch their heads, but I have no control over my neighbors and the montra of "If I don't shoot it, someone else will" fits the bill perfectly in north central ohio - QDM is nonexistant. I will only hold back this year if I get a consistent pattern on a shooter during bow season and I know for a fact noone is bowhunting surrounding properties.

Dude - this is the year you're gonna get it done, and done early.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Goal #1 get home....
Goal #2 put meat in the freezer.....
Goal #3 complete goal #2 lol....
Have fun, wind down and relax..... I'll be lucky too fill a buck tag, and at this point it really don't matter.... I'll have plenty of stand time but no scouting done whatsoever so no expectations this year....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like your thought process Motorbreaker. I have a great uncle that shoots the first buck he sees every year. Spike, basket rack, whatever. The man has killed more deer than the blue tongue, but I don't think he has a wall hanger. He lives to hunt. Just plain loves it. I won't knock him. I am happy he is still able to do it and enjoying himself and teaching his grandsons how to hunt.

Everyone seeks something different. I enjoy being out there. I want to put meat in the freezer every year. When it comes to bucks? I have been very fortunate. It puts me in a place where I am picky. Eating a tag doesn't bother me. If I am going to kill a buck, he has to tickle my fancy. I am considering passing a buck bigger than anything I have killed this year. I am on the fence whether he is 3 or 4. I have a couple mature 8pt bucks which will probably never do much more than where they are right now. They are both 4.5yr minimum. It is a gamble. IF I were to pass on the younger of the three bucks, there is no guarantee he won't wander off, get hit by a car, get shot by another hunter, or otherwise disappear. I feel like I have a devil and angel on each shoulder like a cartoon character. One saying "Shoot him" the other saying "Let him live and you will be blessed in the future." As difficult as it is to obtain good hunting land AND retain it. . . I am guessing there is no chance in the world I will pass the younger buck. Maybe down the road, but I am not sure I can do it right now. Plenty of guys would love to have access to the places I hunt. I have been with zero "good" ground to hunt before. For this reason, I suspect it might be a few years before I can muster up the ability to pass on what would be my biggest deer. Tough choices for sure. Count your blessings you can have this debate with yourself Motorbreaker.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i havent shot a buck in 3 years, i have my chances every year, but i know i wont shoot a 150 or bigger if i shoot the first 120 that comes by, im not all about score i really dont care that much what they score, now the past few years of passing bucks that would look good on my wall is starting too get too me, its all about getting me going if i have a deer that comes in and at first look it gets me going (we all know that feeling you just know thats the one) im gonna kill it. my goal is 140 or better or just a mature deer.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Goal #1 get home....
Goal #2 put meat in the freezer.....
Goal #3 complete goal #2 lol....
Have fun, wind down and relax..... I'll be lucky too fill a buck tag, and at this point it really don't matter.... I'll have plenty of stand time but no scouting done whatsoever so no expectations this year....

Sounds like a recipe for the biggest buck you've shot yet.Good Karma for what you are doing now!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I used to put a minimum inches standard up, but I have had a couple old bastards teasing me in the last 3-4 years that would maybe have went 120". I think they died of old age. Anymore, it's just that "lightning bolt through the body" when I lay eyes on him kinda thing. If I don't immediately know he's what I want, then I don't raise my bow

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've tagged 5 deer since I started hunting. All 5 were with a gun and I didn't get the crossbow until the late season last year. 1 buck, 1 button buck, 3 doe. The buck was a 4 point with a little tiny rack and a huge body. Last year was also my first year with a trail camera and I didn't get that until after gun season. Right now I don't know anything about scoring a deer and would prefer to keep it that way honestly.

Goal 1 is meat in the freezer, goal 2 is kill the buck in my avatar from last year and hang him on my wall. If I get a good opportunity at a deer as nice or bigger first, I will most likely take it so I don't have to freeze my ass off again, LOL.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You should just know as soon as you see it.

Ditto with no tag out remorse to follow.

Just food for thought for those just getting started into hunting:
If a book buck is important to you remember the less points means it must be exceptional in other areas like mass and spread and most importantly tine length. Usually 6&8 points have to make your jaw drop...so to speak.
I like to also look at saplings and other small trees or tree trunk bases and size them up from my tree giving me an idea the size of rack I see on a buck BEFORE one approaches. Helps pass the time TOO!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The more I hunt the more THE hunt and history with a buck mean to me. If I call in a solid 8 point that would mean more than killing a bigger 10 point that lucked by. Or if I have had experiences with a buck in the past that means a lot.

TV has changed hunters attitudes...maybe not for the better. Men are glory hogs, always trying to outdo the next guy. Trying to kill the biggest baddest buck out there. I fell into that trap too. I finally learned that it is me vs the deer. Not me vs you or him or him or her. Some of my best seasons have been of the tag soup variety...but I had lots of good hunts.

Location is the key TOO. I believe Jesse touched on that yesterday in another thread. Some places just hold bigger deer...always will. Very few people have access to these places. Know what you can reasonably expect from your area. 180" deer don't live everywhere. Some places may only hold 135" deer. No reason to wait for a Booner if he isn't there. With lots of work you can improve an area but unless that property is 1000+ acres it's very hard to do.

For the numbers guys: a 140" 8 point is way more impressive than a 150" 10 point in my mind. I doubt I ever let a 140" 8 point walk.

Any 3 year old buck with archery equipment is a worthy adversary. Never let someone else shame you into passing on a deer because they don't think it's ready yet. If it makes you go WOW then go for it.

That's my rant...sorry guys.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The more I hunt the more THE hunt and history with a buck mean to me. If I call in a solid 8 point that would mean more than killing a bigger 10 point that lucked by. Or if I have had experiences with a buck in the past that means a lot.

TV has changed hunters attitudes...maybe not for the better. Men are glory hogs, always trying to outdo the next guy. Trying to kill the biggest baddest buck out there. I fell into that trap too. I finally learned that it is me vs the deer. Not me vs you or him or him or her. Some of my best seasons have been of the tag soup variety...but I had lots of good hunts.

Location is the key TOO. I believe Jesse touched on that yesterday in another thread. Some places just hold bigger deer...always will. Very few people have access to these places. Know what you can reasonably expect from your area. 180" deer don't live everywhere. Some places may only hold 135" deer. No reason to wait for a Booner if he isn't there. With lots of work you can improve an area but unless that property is 1000+ acres it's very hard to do.

For the numbers guys: a 140" 8 point is way more impressive than a 150" 10 point in my mind. I doubt I ever let a 140" 8 point walk.

Any 3 year old buck with archery equipment is a worthy adversary. Never let someone else shame you into passing on a deer because they don't think it's ready yet. If it makes you go WOW then go for it.

That's my rant...sorry guys.

Excellent post Spencie!