Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who do you read?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just curious what authors you guys read or recommend? I get on one author and I stick with them. Also, if you were to recommend one book from that author what would it be? So far I have read everything from:

Tom Clancy (originals only no co-writes) Without Remorse
Vince Flynn Transfer of Power
David Baldacci Any of them involving the Camel Club (Character set)
Brad Thor Any of the Scott Harvath novels
John Grisham Playing for Pizza or hell, all of his books are good
Robert R. McCammon Swan song or Boy's Life
Stephen Hunter Point of Impact

Beentown

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
That is one thing I wish I had time to get into doing. I have two books I really want to read.one is the bible.
The.other is a book I have called the american patriots bible. Its biblical truths that formed the foundation of american values. Its sounds pretty interesting..

rrr

Beener....

I don't have a whole lot of time to read outside of my coursework and resulting from that is the curse that it's impossible for me to actually read a book from cover to cover. (If you want suggestions on very deep historical reading, I've got plenty of those!)

However, consider these:

Any John Grisham book - I've read all of his, and almost all of them more than once or several times. If I were to suggest just one, it'd be "The Last Juror". I read it at least twice a year and laugh every time, it combines a legal trial and several small town stories. It's my favorite book and that's saying a lot for a kid that has read a lot of books. Another one of Grisham's that you'd enjoy because you've got some washed up high school athlete in you is "Bleachers", which is shorter and still very good.

If you like legal at all, Jeff Benedict's "Little Pink House" is about the Kelo v. City of New London case, easy read and interesting if you're into the eminent domain argument at all. Also, Jonathan Harr's "A Civil Action" is a great environmental legal book about a leaking tannery and a community that gets lukemia. Based on a true story, don't watch the movie - John Travolta is a fag.

The only book I read cover to cover this summer was Sarah Palin's "Going Rouge" Good book. One of my favorite political books is Barbara Bush's "Millie's Book" that talks about the Bush presidency through the eyes of their dog, Millie.

I read "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder every winter. Might be a kids book but it takes me back to my (nothing like that) childhood in upstate NY every time.

I don't have the titles offhand, but if you go to the library (scary, but you've got kids so take them) and find an outdoors section, you'll find 15 how-to-do hunting books and next to them will be about 6 dusty, cracked books filled with old hunting stories. They are good. Along those lines, "A Sand County Almanac" is on my list to read soon, can't recommend it personally but I've heard nothing but good about it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The last book I read was Steven Adler's book about his Guns N' Roses days. Pretty good stuff.
I have Slash's book now. Just haven't had time to read it yet.
Them rock and roll books are about all that will hold my attention.

I do hope to read Killer Angels some day. The movies Gods and Generals and Gettysburg came from this book. Love the movies.

rrr

Cotty - I've read several of Jeff Saraha's books - Gods and Generals, the Killer Angels, whatever the third one is...his two books on the Revolutionary war...his Mexican war one...all good.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am at the library at least twice a week. It is one of my girls favorite places.

I also want to mention another author: Larry Corriea (Monster Hunter International). He is a member of a partial private firearms forum and he wrote a book based on a thread he started on www.thehighroad.com

It started as a joke and it ended up a best seller. Now he has a follow up book out (next in a series) and is writing with another gun nut that also co-wrote the thread...hell here is a link to the thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=207390&highlight=corriea

Just remember when reading it that it was done on the fly at first. This thread is coming out in book form this coming year. His first two books are about killing evil stuff (vampires, werewolves, garden gnomes, etc...) with great guns.

Beentown

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I read Playboy, North American Whitetail, and Deer and Deer Hunting when I'm on the shitter. Other than that and the Internet, I don't read. Who has time to read books?!? I watch too much TV for that!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
You have to read The Heroin Diaries, about Nikki Sixx and his life with heroin. Also Scar Tissue, it's about the Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer Antony Kiedis, this is a great read.
The last book I read was Steven Adler's book about his Guns N' Roses days. Pretty good stuff.
I have Slash's book now. Just haven't had time to read it yet.
Them rock and roll books are about all that will hold my attention.

I do hope to read Killer Angels some day. The movies Gods and Generals and Gettysburg came from this book. Love the movies.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Just curious what authors you guys read or recommend? I get on one author and I stick with them. Also, if you were to recommend one book from that author what would it be? So far I have read everything from:

Tom Clancy (originals only no co-writes) Without RemorseVince Flynn Transfer of Power
David Baldacci Any of them involving the Camel Club (Character set)
Brad Thor Any of the Scott Harvath novels
John Grisham Playing for Pizza or hell, all of his books are good
Robert R. McCammon Swan song or Boy's Life
Stephen Hunter Point of Impact

Beentown

"Without Remorse" is a must-read, good choice. I've re-read it a few times, gotta find it in hardback

I'm into naval fiction - I really like the "Horatio Hornblower" novels by CS Forester.

Also, for a historical non-fiction account of sea life during the mid 1800's "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana Jr. is an excellent read.

And Beenie - if you haven't read "Last of the Breed" by Louis L'Amour I'd highly recommend you do so immediately. It's a little dated now because of the Cold War setting, but I'll guarantee you'll like it. If not, I'll refund the price of the book to you.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Dan I will pick it up. I am behind on four books right now. As soon as I get it down I will buy/borrow it.

Beentown