Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transfer Switches

I have a genelink system that is hooked up to my power meter. I have a 10500 watt generator that plugs into it and it runs the whole house. The power company comes out and pulls the meter off, puts the unit on, then the meter goes back on it.

A couple years ago we had a storm knock power out for 5 days, we lost a lot of food. It's nice to know that if we loose power in the winter I can run the furnace. I'm totally pleased with it.

No problem buddy, the power company hooks it up in no time at all. There is a $100 fee to hook it up, but it's worth it for the piece of mind.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No problem buddy, the power company hooks it up in no time at all. There is a $100 fee to hook it up, but it's worth it for the piece of mind.

Correct. Without the disconnect, you are actually back feeding the power lines with your generator running. Power man comes to work on the lines and you can fry him. When we upgraded our service, they required us to put on a disconnect. New code I guess. Glad I did. Now I can run the generator hooked to the tractor, flip the disconnect, turn off the main breaker, and hook up the generator. Boom. We are running again. Wish I had better info on the disconnect, but I simply trusted the electrician upgrading our service to install what we needed.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When I built my new house in 1994 there was no separate disconnect required.
When my daughter built in 2002 there was a disconnect required by code.

Buckmaster

Portage
This is on my to do list as well. Because my geo Water Furnace requires 17kw I'm putting it off due to expense.
I'll risk losing my food for a couple more years.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is on my to do list as well. Because my geo Water Furnace requires 17kw I'm putting it off due to expense.
I'll risk losing my food for a couple more years.

Most homeowners insurance covers 500.00 for food lose. I lost a freezer full of older food during that last big wind storm when we was out for 6.5 days.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Most homeowners insurance covers 500.00 for food lose. I lost a freezer full of older food during that last big wind storm when we was out for 6.5 days.

Ensuring that it will never be claimed alone as most deductibles are 500. Lol.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ensuring that it will never be claimed alone as most deductibles are 500. Lol.

My Homeowners Liberty Mutual Ins. covered and paid 500.00 claim on food lose with 1000.00 deductible policy. They said food lose was covered outside of the regular deductible.
500.00 is the max allowable on food lose. Only had to show the adjuster were I dumped the lost food in my coyote bait pile.

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, I'm all set I believe. I had to pay the electric bill TOOday & I inquired about this setup. I'm gonna do the monthy plan since I had to drop off my lawn tractor for repair today.... damn steering went out. There's no other fee, other than them supplying a 40' cord which I have to pay for, for $50. A 20' comes with it, but I need something longer. Ha, chances are I'll never use it, but the piece of mind is there.

5Cent ... I feel as if I hijacked your post. I'm sorry. Your question really helped me, others & maybe you too just the same. Thank you !

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Make sure the generators are outside when running. But everyone here is smart enough to know that.
About 2 years ago a Highway Patrolman ran the generator in the basement and both him and the wife didn't wake up in the morning. Just saying.

Make sure the generators are outside when running. But everyone here is smart enough to know that.
About 2 years ago a Highway Patrolman ran the generator in the basement and both him and the wife didn't wake up in the morning. Just saying.

There are a couple every year it seems.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Well, I'm all set I believe. I had to pay the electric bill TOOday & I inquired about this setup. I'm gonna do the monthy plan since I had to drop off my lawn tractor for repair today.... damn steering went out. There's no other fee, other than them supplying a 40' cord which I have to pay for, for $50. A 20' comes with it, but I need something longer. Ha, chances are I'll never use it, but the piece of mind is there.

5Cent ... I feel as if I hijacked your post. I'm sorry. Your question really helped me, others & maybe you too just the same. Thank you !

Great to hear Kevin! No second thoughts on hijacking this thread, that's why I posted buddy. Time to flush out other guys experience with different install situations. Please respond after everything is hooked up. Did you go with Derek's recommendation?

Beener, which kit you install at the cabin?

My main goal is to not run the entire house, just furnace, fridge, freezer, hot water heater if needed. Still need to calculate all my starting loads to understand what I can run when. Outside if fresh water (think of algae bloom), we are all waaaay to dependent on the grid. Time to prepare boys, WWIII is right around the corner. I could have cared less about these things before the boys were born.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I did go with what Derek mentioned. It's an easier set up for this house. I've got the electric co. coming out 1st thing in the morning, so this is going quite fast. They need me there to turn off the electric, so it doesn't take long as mentioned. I was fearful that they'd be telling me I need this & that before they come out. I'll post the results tomorrow morning .... as long as I'm not busy dealing with the fire dept.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been following this post. Earlier this year I made a trade for a Y2K whole house diesel generator that was never hooked up. Then a know nothing family member of the seller stuck their nose in and the deal fell through for the time being. Should still happen. Hopefully I will need to do the same thing you're doing.