Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fuggin Snake IN MY HOUSE

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I have a litter of puppies in the basement. I went to put them into their bed time box and there is a fugging garter snake in my basement. I grabbed my pups and put them up. In the meantime, the damn thing went through the petition section.

How in the hell do I get it out of my house w/o actually picking it up?????????

How in the hell did a snake get in my house anyway?!!!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was thinking burn it down TOO ! My 1st guess is the dryer vent. I saw one at my house slither up inside years ago & I about shit my pants. I remember being told one time about a black snake being inside the clothes basket at someone's house years ago. They had a heck of a time getting that one out !

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's just a little garter snake. Perfectly harmless. He likely got in through a crack in a basement window, a place where a pipe comes through the wall, or from around the dryer vent. Areas like that. The best way to get rid of him is to go buy those flat glue traps for mice or rats. You can either place them around edges in covered places like under small tables etc. just tie some fishing string to them and tie it off somewhere. Sometimes they don't get stuck all the way.

Another way is to go to a pet store and get a couple feeder mice, place one in the middle of each trap. They won't die and will stay warm making them the bait.

Try not to worry about it too much. They aren't aggressive and you really have to pester the shit out of them to get them to bite. Even if they do bite their teeth are like a catfishes. Small and scratchy. Odds are he wasn't after the pups. They mostly eat bugs like crickets and worms.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Well, we can't find him. I called my son-in-law and we tore the whole basement apart and no snake. However, he found a friggin' snake skin behind a freezer, so he must have been in here for awhile.

I'll try to get some glue traps tomorrow. I have someone coming to look at pups early tomorrow morning. Sure hope he doesn't show himself while they are here!

I think I'm still in shock over seeing it in my house. He was probably 16-18 inches long and looked fat. My grand daughter said "What if its a girl and has babies?" I told her to shut up!

I always have mice from time to time, due to dog food. He's probably having a field day with that.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like Joe said it's totally harmless. But who wants a snake in the house. There are probably more in our houses and garages than we know about or want to think about.
I had a 4' black snake in my garage, my son had a 6' black snake in is warehouse. He found snake skins sheds all over.
The other day I went up to my pole barn and there was this black rope laying beside the white pull up rope for the garage door. That didn't look right. It was a 18" garter snake. I just put it outside. Cleaning up my man cave room to paint I found couple small snake skin sheds.
Damn snakes.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm not saying I would even attempt it, but if I do see it again and try to grab it.........where? I don't want bit.

My oldest daughter has already told me I am NOT allowed to shoot it (my normal way of getting them away from the outside of my house!) and my youngest daughter sent me a message saying she was sad that she can never come to my house again. lmao

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm not saying I would even attempt it, but if I do see it again and try to grab it.........where? I don't want bit.

My oldest daughter has already told me I am NOT allowed to shoot it (my normal way of getting them away from the outside of my house!) and my youngest daughter sent me a message saying she was sad that she can never come to my house again. lmao

Try to pin its head down and grab it right behind the head. That way it has no chance of biting you.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Last summer I was at the farm working on some pipes I got under the kitchen sink sat down looked up and About a 6 ft black snake was face to face with me. I'm not afraid of snakes when I know there their but i screamed like a bitch when that happened. The owner was there and we found another behind the fridge. Its just a summer house for them and they always said they never had mouse problems. I told him I knew y.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
It has yet to re-appear, which is fine with me. During the day, I'm okay, but come late evening (which is when I saw it), I'm a nervous wreck and jumpy, jumpy, jumpy!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Maybe Diane, when it's dead quiet in the middle of the night, you might hear it slithering around ..... or slithering up your bed post. Post ... sheet .... or blanket, I dunno. It's amazing how they can climb.

I do know where you live, Kevin! That's strike two!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha ha. yes, I'm having fun at your expense Diane. Keep in mind though, if I saw a snake in my house, I'd scream like a little girl, shit my pants & have a heart attack. I just don't know in which order all that would take place. Pretty much instantaneously I bet.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Ha ha. yes, I'm having fun at your expense Diane. Keep in mind though, if I saw a snake in my house, I'd scream like a little girl, shit my pants & have a heart attack. I just don't know in which order all that would take place. Pretty much instantaneously I bet.

If I find some of that sticky trap stuff tomorrow and happen to catch the varmint, I'm guessing you are not the one to call to carry it out of the house for me????? :smiley_crocodile:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is how much of a puss I am ... one of my neighbors had a garter near her house years ago. I walked over to take the serpent away & placed it in the woods. I wore a work glove because the way their skin feels just freaks me out. So no, don't call. :) How some KIDS can pick 'em up & play with 'em is beyond my comprehension.