Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Hunter

CKelhoffer91

Hello all, new guy here and I've never been hunting but want to this year. I plan to start with squirrel hunting and have a few questions about small game hunting in Ohio and some about my gun as well. I'll make this easy for you guys so you can copy and paste the questions, and answer yes or no as you go down the list (answers can be more detailed than Just yes or no)

I just bought my first shotgun, an 18.5 Mossberg 500, and from what I've read you can hunt squirrel with this as long as you're using something between #4 and #6 shot. I would use my .22 but couldn't find ammo to save my life. So since you pretty much have a summary of my situation I'll start with the questions.

The Shotgun holds 6 rounds, am I able to use it as long as only 3 rounds are in the gun?

When hunting squirrel, what kind or permit do I need and do we tag squirrel?

I plan on getting a new barrel for the shotgun in the coming weeks, what length would you reccomend?

Can Rifled barrels shoot pellets? (Buckshot,Birdshot)

I know I have more questions I just can't think of them off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'll be asking more through out this thread. Also any extra info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I also posted this in the hunting 101 section. Just trying to get as much help as possible

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hello all, new guy here and I've never been hunting but want to this year. I plan to start with squirrel hunting and have a few questions about small game hunting in Ohio and some about my gun as well. I'll make this easy for you guys so you can copy and paste the questions, and answer yes or no as you go down the list (answers can be more detailed than Just yes or no)

I just bought my first shotgun, an 18.5 Mossberg 500, and from what I've read you can hunt squirrel with this as long as you're using something between #4 and #6 shot. I would use my .22 but couldn't find ammo to save my life. So since you pretty much have a summary of my situation I'll start with the questions.

The Shotgun holds 6 rounds, am I able to use it as long as only 3 rounds are in the gun? Yes, the plug is not a law anymore.

When hunting squirrel, what kind or permit do I need and do we tag squirrel?
You need a hunting licence and that's it, you don't tag them.

I plan on getting a new barrel for the shotgun in the coming weeks, what length would you reccomend?
Depends on what style barrel. Vent rib or deer?

Can Rifled barrels shoot pellets? (Buckshot,Birdshot)
I wouldn't recommend it and don't see why you would.

I know I have more questions I just can't think of them off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'll be asking more through out this thread. Also any extra info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I also posted this in the hunting 101 section. Just trying to get as much help as possible

Welcome to TOO!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO.
You just need a hunting license and no need to tag squirrels. I'm almost the sure the 3 round limit is for deer hunting only and water fowl.
I think #4 and 6 is rather large for squirrel. I would use #7's.
New barrel I would get a medium length of 24-26" as it's more handy in the woods. Get the removal choke type.

I would pattern your 18.5" barrel as it might work just fine for short range squirrel hunting.

I use a 22LR rifle and not much of a shotgun guy. Only use the shotgun for turkey and deer.
Good luck to you.

Vent and ribbed is the same term in my mind.
Rifled barrel would only be used for slugs and deer hunting.

Last edited:

CKelhoffer91

Thanks bigslam I appreciate the welcoming and your aanswers. Few more questions though.

What's the difference between Vent and Rib?

Should I not get a rifled barrel if I wanted to use the shotgun for a variety of hunting?

What barrel length would you recommend for most versatility when it comes to hunt in all animals?

CKelhoffer91

MK111 I'll definitely look into the #7

And what do you mean by pattern my barrel?

Also thanks for the welcoming

EDIT:
I noticed you're in SW Oh, I am about 10 miles south of Dayton. How often do you squirrel hunt and where do you go to hunt?

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I only hunt on my farm. But my hunting woods is rather small and is my primary deer hunting area so I don't hunt squirrels there until after I finish deer hunting. It's too close to deer season now for me to hunt squirrel there.

In patterning your shotgun you shoot a pattern on paper at the hunting range you think you'll shoot at squirrels. That will give you a idea how many pellets hit in the killing zone. The pattern may even be slightly off the aiming point.

MK111 I'll definitely look into the #7

And what do you mean by pattern my barrel?

Also thanks for the welcoming

EDIT:
I noticed you're in SW Oh, I am about 10 miles south of Dayton. How often do you squirrel hunt and where do you go to hunt?

CKelhoffer91

Oh you live on a farm, nice. I'd love to have my own land to Learn on... you ever get to shoot any of those big ass wild hogs or coyotes out there?

And I was thinking about caesars creek to pop my hunting cherry, have you heard anything good about that place huntng wise?

CKelhoffer91

Outdoorsfellar thanks for the welcoming and I scheduled one for October 11th.

Do I have to take the class to get my hunting permit?

Is it only 4 hours long?

I didn't see a price on the website I scheduled the class with. Do you know about how much it is?

Edit:
That's a pretty flashy dog Ya got there. Is he a Weimeraner? (Probably butchered the spelling there)

Last edited:
Welcome to TOO, the hunter education safety course will give you a lot of answers as well as the regulation book when you get your permit, best of luck to you!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Outdoorsfellar thanks for the welcoming and I scheduled one for October 11th.

Do I have to take the class to get my hunting permit?

Is it only 4 hours long?

I didn't see a price on the website I scheduled the class with. Do you know about how much it is?

Edit:
That's a pretty flashy dog Ya got there. Is he a Weimeraner? (Probably butchered the spelling there)
Yes, you do need to take the safety course before you can get your hunting license. The only way around this is to get an apprentice license. You need to know another licensed hunter to take you under your wing and hunt with you. Welcome to TOO.

CKelhoffer91

Awesome, thanks Mike. I realized a few hours ago the the 4 hour class is A home-study class so I called, cancelled and rescheduled. So now my class is Oct 11-12 from 1Pm-5:30