Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food Plots

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We bought our Athens County property in January 2011. The guy sold it because of no deer. It was mostly open woods with little to no cover or browse. After having it select cut and clear cut in places and a lot of work, we now have three 1 acre food plots and lots of cover....along with a 24x36 cabin. The food plot in the bottom is clover and the 2 on top are planted in Frigid Forage Big and Beasty blend. Last fall we saw some real good bucks using our place. This is the year we have hoped would really start producing. I will say that the turkey hunting in the spring has been very successful.

Here are pics of the Frigid Forage plots.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Someone said that if you plant the deer will come. I found that same thing on my farm.
2013 was my 1st year for planting food plots. In 23 yrs. I never seen over 3 deer at one time on my farm. In 2013 I seen up to 10 deer at one time feeding in the food plot. That convinced me if you plant it the deer will find it and come to it.
I plan on 2015 being a really big plant year for food plots. I even put in another food plot on the other side of my farm on a main N-S trail going between 2 neighbors.

Keep up the hard work and you'll have the best deer hunting property in the neighborhood.

Along the same line a guy who works for my son has a 80 Ac. farm in Pike County. He says it's all hilly and it doesn't hold any deer and he can't get a deer there. I'm going to try and convince him to let me help him put in some food plots. He does go down and bush hog down couple illegal pot plantings each year. But the deer don't seem to drawn to the pot plots. LOL

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
In 2011 we cleared an acre in the bottom and planted clover/turnips. The turnips were huge, some as big as a volleyball. The deer destroyed them. In 2012 we cleared an acre on top and planted turnips. It was a success TOO. In 2013 we planted chicory in that plot. It grew great but the deer hammered it so hard that it was barren by October 20th. So we cleared another 1 acre plot on top last winter. Our plots are now surrounded by nasty brush in both hollows. Time will tell how things turn out. I have learned that you can't provide too much food. They will eat it all.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking good man! I love having the farm to mess with because it is its own hobby. I enjoy creating something from nothing. Hopefully it pays off in a big way for you guys!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You have put the time, money and sweat into the property and it'll pay off.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Here is an update on the food plots. A little rain this week wouldn't hurt. We still have no bucks that would break 100 inches yet. October 20th seems to be the magical day.
The last pic is the view from one of our stands.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking good! They'll be there soon enough. With acorns dropping, they are indulging in the newly available treats. Once they have their fill of those, it'll be off to find the lush green food sources you have provided!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Looking good! They'll be there soon enough. With acorns dropping, they are indulging in the newly available treats. Once they have their fill of those, it'll be off to find the lush green food sources you have provided!

The food plots are filling up with acorns right now....kind of a double whammy. We left all the white oaks.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We have also planted 14 apple trees, 3 pear trees and 6 persimmon trees throughout these 2 food plots. They are a few years away from producing but will be an extra attractant.

rsmith

Oh boy that looks like quite the honey hole!! Especially from the treestand! Love those kinds of pics!!

What he said!! That should be an amazing spot this rut/ late season for sure! Don't worry about them not coming in yet, if you have does they will be in their for sure! And awesome stand location that looks like a killer spot. And with you leaving white oaks in their they will be hittin it hard once they find it! Best of luck to you this season! Keep the updates coming

rsmith

Wow that's some good forage you got their! I have confidence the bucks will come though expecially with does around