Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot placement

Treed

Stark County
I've been following the Dan Perez center punch drama on AT on and off for a week or so now. I was thinking this was going to be about that.

Anyway, there are hundreds of posts about the subject on AT, Dan Perez advocating shooting deer in the liver that is, and a few of them have pics of deer with layovers of the bones and organs in place so you can see where everything is, lifelike, not in a drawing. Anyway, I was looking at one of these pictures last night looking at that bone thinking the same thing....if that shoulder bone goes at that angle like it appears to, shoot above the leg.

c59b6a5b.jpg

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is a awesome picture of the internal organs locations. Been doing it sorta wrong for 48 yrs. I've shot a lot of livers over the years and now I know why.
Changing shot locations.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Very nice post. Makes you really 2nd guess what you have heard you whole hunting life. It's makes since. Having more room for error is always a good thing because we all know something's don't go as planned in the woods.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I always shoot tight to the crease or above the elbow, depending on the angle of course. Shooting a heavy arrow and monster of a broadhead I worry not about bone. I know it sounds crazy but I'd rather hit the bone than hit the liver. I've tracked a couple liver-shot deer and it was a pain in the ass both times. They bled a ton and were both recovered, but they just went so much farther than deer that were lung-shot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always aimed 6-8" up from the brisket, even with the back of the leg on broadside shots. Anything with an angle changes the aiming point of course. Liver shots are deadly, especially when combined with a lung hit. The buck I killed in 2008 was an old, big bodied warrior. I shot him quartered away at 32 yards, eye level. The Rage 2-blade cut his liver in half, and cut a 2-3" section off the top of both lungs. He died in a matter of seconds, making it less than 40 yards from the shot. So I see what Perez is saying, just not something I'd advocate teaching new archers. Take the shot that gets you the heart/lungs and know that a miss in the back of the lungs/liver will kill 'em dead TOO!