Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steyr AUG

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been wanting a Steyr AUG in 223 for 25 yrs. But they were banned in 1989 and the price went through the roof. Steyr opened a manufacturing plant in AL in I believe 2011. The rifles are just hitting the market at a normal discounted price.
I bought one last week off Gunbroker and it'll be delivered on Thursday. I bought a 16" barrel and the model that takes AR 15 magazines instead of the Steyr mags. I have 15-20 AR mags left from PD hunting in the past and they all function perfectly.
Gonna to be a fun rifle. I took my AK 47 Bullpup that I had built up to the Lima Flea market and sold it for more than I had in it. The AK 47 was really a heavy rifle and the ammo is a odd caliber for me. I can reload 500-600 rounds of 223 per hour if need be. I have about 3000 rounds of 223 loaded and ready to go.
Pictures to follow ASAP.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally caught up with my FFL Dealer today to pick up my Steyr AUG. This thing is sweet and the trigger isn't too bad.
I post some pictures after I get a scope mounted. Think I'll mount a 1x4 power compact scope. If not I a have a good 3x9 compact scope. We'll see.
Also going with a high quality side mounted green daytime laser.
I have 1000's of loaded 223 left over from PD shooting. This is going to be a fun time.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I installed a Redfield 1x4 power compact scope on my new Steyr Aug yesterday. But my son said a excellent rifle needed a excellent scope. So he gave me a Burris 5 power Heads-up scope to use. It has red and green changeable night time aiming point with elevation mil dots set for 223 ammo.
I have a LaserMax daytime green laser on the way for low light and night time use. May install a flashlight if needed but will see how I like the green daytime laser.
The forearm grip folds up if wanted.
This is going to be a fun rifle and will see a lot of use. Sight in is next.
Total over all length is only 28". Super compact.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took the Aug out tonight for a shoot. It functioned flawlessly. Was shooting right at dusk and what a fire ball light up for a second at the muzzle. Going to be a fun gun. Now find time to shoot the 1000's of left over PD loaded bullets. I was having so much fun I even forgot to turn the lighted crosshair up but I could see the round black center sighting circle just fine. Next time. Got to get my green daytime lazer ordered.