Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is this the same buck?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Swapped some trail camera cards with a buddy tonight. He gave me some which he thought were the recent card swap. They were actually from 2yrs ago. I had never seen them. I am not sure if this is the same buck or not, but was hoping you guys might offer your expertise.

The buck I killed last year showed similar characteristics to the 2012 buck I found pictures of tonight on the old camera card. I really hope you guys think it is the same buck. If so, it makes me feel better. I was on the fence thinking I had killed a 3.5yr old dandy with ridiculous potential. FWIW, I would kill him again given the chance. If this is him in 2012, he was at least 4.5 in my opinion.

019 (800x600).jpg020 (800x600).jpg

Here he was in 2013/2014.

1738 (800x600).jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'd say no Phil. Unless his rack has changed a little. Right brow and curve of main beam don't quite match to me.....Could be wrong though.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Really hard to tell given the earlier pic is foggy. In the earlier pic you can see he busted the left brow up a bit.
I'm not going to say it's 100% him but it very well could be the same buck.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Sorry I won't be any help here Phil...I am just starting out with running cams this year and trying to figure out what deer is what from early antler growth to now...and now I am having 3-4 different 8 points showing up that have almost the same damn rack, makes it really difficult to judge and I am finding out that I will need a higher resolution camera if I want to figure this stuff out.

So, IMO, from what I know/experienced, they look pretty darn similar, from the pics I see, I would wager that it is the same buck, especially if you can find other photos of him showing up a time or 2 before.

rsmith

It looks like him, longer brow on the left side, our right, super tall tines, same wrap around style rack with a thin main beam. I'm no expert but it does look a lot like him and hold the same charecteristics

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It could be the same deer as they do have some similar characteristics. The right beam does turn in more than his left and the same side brow is a bit shorter as well.
Does the deer you killed last year have these same two characteristics? I can't remember.
I'm about 90% sure that the deer above are the same.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It could be the same deer as they do have some similar characteristics. The right beam does turn in more than his left and the same side brow is a bit shorter as well.
Does the deer you killed last year have these same two characteristics? I can't remember.
I'm about 90% sure that the deer above are the same.

The 2013 pic is the buck I killed last year.

Tried to find a similar side angle. Not quite the same.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The brow tines are similar in the way they relate to each other. However, the G2's are not. Usually, if the 2 is the longest tine, that carries through from year to year. That doesn't appear to be the case here, but then again your deer has added a lot over the course of a year if it's the same one. Looking at his 3's shows the same characteristic as the 2's did in the earlier photos. Short answer; I dunno... you killed a nice deer last year, regardless!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The brow tines are similar in the way they relate to each other. However, the G2's are not. Usually, if the 2 is the longest tine, that carries through from year to year. That doesn't appear to be the case here, but then again your deer has added a lot over the course of a year if it's the same one. Looking at his 3's shows the same characteristic as the 2's did in the earlier photos. Short answer; I dunno... you killed a nice deer last year, regardless!

THanks for the smile, chuckle, and ego stroking Brock. Wasn't looking for an ego stroke. Just simply saw a picture of a similar buck the year before. Was hoping you guys might offer some better insight. I am thinking the same as you. Short answer: I dunno. lol

Good way to learn. Ask questions. Read responses. It is interesting seeing the different opinions. Gave me some things to ponder for down the road. Bottom line: antlers are a mysterious thing. Different antlers attract different hunters. They intrigue us. They can confuse us as they change year to year. Sort of like women. :smiley_crocodile:

Diablo54

Outside
THanks for the smile, chuckle, and ego stroking Brock. Wasn't looking for an ego stroke. Just simply saw a picture of a similar buck the year before. Was hoping you guys might offer some better insight. I am thinking the same as you. Short answer: I dunno. lol

Good way to learn. Ask questions. Read responses. It is interesting seeing the different opinions. Gave me some things to ponder for down the road. Bottom line: antlers are a mysterious thing. Different antlers attract different hunters. They intrigue us. They can confuse us as they change year to year. Sort of like women. :smiley_crocodile:

I disagree Phil. I have never had an antler bitch at me for ignoring it or talking to another antler. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I disagree Phil. I have never had an antler bitch at me for ignoring it or talking to another antler. Lol

:smiley_crocodile:
I see you have a bit to learn yet. If you are ignoring it, how are you hearing it? You need to learn to enter the "ignore zone" no matter what the decibel level.
If you figure this out, shoot me a PM with the secret on how to master it. No. Seriously. Please PM me if you do. :smiley_blackeye:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
:smiley_crocodile:
I see you have a bit to learn yet. If you are ignoring it, how are you hearing it? You need to learn to enter the "ignore zone" no matter what the decibel level.
If you figure this out, shoot me a PM with the secret on how to master it. No. Seriously. Please PM me if you do. :smiley_blackeye:
Me Too! rotflmao