Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bino recommendations?

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'm wanting to add a smaller basic pair if binoculars to my hunting hear this season. I don't know to much when it comes to them. I don't want to spent a whole lot. Just something to help see in the distance as one of my stands over looks a bean field. Any recommendations on the magnifying power or brands? I'm afraid to go buy the first cheap pair I see and they suck lol
Thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO, 10x42 binos are great for hunting here in Ohio. I own a pair of Vortex Crossfire II and don't see me needing much more from a bino. I've had cheaper Bushnells and Tascos before and I pretty much wasted my money on them. $150 may not be "cheap" to some, but it is when considering quality optics and the Crossfires really fit the bill in that price range.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
IMO, 10x42 binos are great for hunting here in Ohio. I own a pair of Vortex Crossfire II and don't see me needing much more from a bino. I've had cheaper Bushnells and Tascos before and I pretty much wasted my money on them. $150 may not be "cheap" to some, but it is when considering quality optics and the Crossfires really fit the bill in that price range.

X2 on the Crossfire's. I just bought a pair about a month ago at cabelas in Columbus. $183 otd. I couldn't be happier with them, and the warranty is second TOO none.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a pair of vortex diamondback 10x42s and I freaking love 'em so far. Got them from cabelas, who then gave me $50 back in cabelas bucks!

Ricer2231

What he said. Only difference is I TOO bought the Diamondbacks. They were right at 2 bills out the door. Love em!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My bride gave me a pair of Bushnell Legends last year for Christmas. I love 'em. I've had quite a few cheap binoculars, I've always liked 10 or 12x50. The larger optics gather light much better than smaller, even on cheap binoculars. The Legends are 10x42, and they are sufficient in low light.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
VORTEX !

I just got the 8 x 42 Diamondbacks at Cabalas for just under $170.00 and got the $50.00 store credit TOO.
Argon gas, multi coated and incredible clarity. Perfect for my old eyes.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My bride gave me a pair of Bushnell Legends last year for Christmas. I love 'em. I've had quite a few cheap binoculars, I've always liked 10 or 12x50. The larger optics gather light much better than smaller, even on cheap binoculars. The Legends are 10x42, and they are sufficient in low light.
The objective size (mm) divided by the magnification gives you a number... The higher that number, the more light the binos gather. So 8x42s actually gather more light to your eyes than 12x50s. At least, that's what I've read while researching binos.

I have a pair of vortex diamondback 8x42 and a pair of vortex talon hd 10x42. I like the talons alittle more because I can use them with my glasses on. Plus the difference in light transmission between the diamondbacks and the talons is pretty noticeable.

Last edited:
My son and I both have Nikon and they are damn nice binos, a buddy of mine picked up a set of the vortex diamondbacks and they too are damn nice. Years ago I got by with cheap binos and it wasn't until I bought nice
ones that I knew what I was missing. I would say either one of these are a good choice. You don't have to spend 2k on a pair of Swarovski to have nice binos.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Steiner Predator 8X32 and I like them. Little on the heavy side but I use a good shoulder harness. With the shoulder harness the binos are always out of the way and don't bang around.

I know Leuplod Bino's are more than you planned to spend

But they will last several lifetimes

And they fix them for free

10 or so years back I bought a pair of Leupold Bino's at a yard sale ....like $25

2 years later I dropped them out of the tree stand onto a rock
I picked up the pieces and a few months later sent the box of parts to Leuplod as a joke about them fixing them

A few weeks later I get a box UPS'ed to me
Inside was a letter stating they couldn't fix the old pair
So they sent me a new pair and never charged me a cent

So IMO Bino's that you plan on using a fair amount are 1 idem that are worth buying the good one to start with

John

Tough to beat Vortex for price, quality an warranty..Even if your the 100TH owner an the damaged item is yours fault. It will be repaired or replaced forever. Im pretty happy with my 8x42 Crossfire IIs.I had a pair of Nikon team realtree10x25s an they was ok..Half the price of my Crossfire IIs an 1/4 the optic imo.

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I just ordered a pair of Vortex Crossfire ii 10 x 42 Binos on Amazon for $169. Free 2 day shipping. Hope they are as good as you guys advertised.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In the same price range as the Vortex these guys are touting, but I have the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. Excellent for hunting or even road scouting. Warranty on these is also impressive. I think they call it a Lifetime Warranty but then state 25yrs or something. I don't know. I am very happy with them.

Once you accept you need to spend just a lil' bit more in order to "Pay once. Complain once", you will then realize a nice harness is next. Harness can always be purchased later. $20-35 should get you a nice harness. I have the Nikon shoulder harness as well and like it.

I just ordered a pair of Vortex Crossfire ii 10 x 42 Binos on Amazon for $169. Free 2 day shipping. Hope they are as good as you guys advertised.

You wont be disappointed.I ordered mine from Amazon an they was broke right out of the box:smiley_depressive:..Vortex was amazing with customer service.They literally called my home 30mins after I dropped the broke ones off at FedEx.They said they got the email confirmation from FedEx and was going to go ahead an ship my new ones out..

Reactions: Huckleberry Finn