Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knew this day would come.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So the farm I've been hunting the past 4 or 5 years is now slipping away from our grasp. I'll try to keep this short. But in about 2007 or so my dad got hooked up with a farm off rt 32 on the app. We ended up doing a lease with its camped. Put in plots and made logging roads, you know, put in alot of time. So my dad decides he's going to try and buy this peice. Well, not short after, it gets bought by a "hunting club" out of the blue. So we were bummed, but came across a different farm about 3 miles up the road if that. We didn't lease this one, but we got in good with the farmer, we helped him redo his roof, clean his car port, and did other misc around the house. Well the farmer is now in a nursing home, but still doing well. Long story short, my dad was on his new ups route, which is by the farm, and when he drove by yesterday he saw for sale signs by mossy oak properties plastered all over it. As soon as he told me that yesterday I ran out there to see for myself. And sure enough, there were the signs. I made some calls, and the land is for sale, and only wanting 2200 and acre. So I'd say it'll be gone. It's just frustrating because every time we get a farm, put in time, and figure out the deer, it's gone. I would say this hunting club will buy the property and I'll be out a hunting spot again. It's pretty irritating that big money is starting to rule this sport and unless you inherit or own land, you're screwed. The club that wants to buy it owns thousands of acres all around this farm, what is another 180 acres?? Sorry about the rant.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Buddy , your not alone.
The Whitetail deer in our state is now famous. It's becoming TOO commercialized and if you have more money than the next guy, well your lucky. Becing a rich mans sport in my book. Sad!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sorry to hear this bud. This sport has changed so much in the past 10-20-30 years its amazing. Everyone and their buddy is a Bone Collector now and its ruining the sport.

Good luck finding a new place to hunt.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
One day people will realize how much money these now big corporation like mossy oak properties are flipping the bird to hunters...they kick 3 hunters off and make one happy. It's just a game of odds now.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Exactly, you have to have bookoo dollars to be able to buy any ground, which I don't have. I hope it may lead into some better property. But I doubt it. I had these deer figured out and had a solid game plan for this season. Not trying to complain here either, just venting lol.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I went through this for years until I gave up and started exclusively hunting public. There are an entire different set of downfalls with public as I am well aware
not the least of which is less and smaller bucks but I do not miss the rat race of constantly losing and then having to find new ground.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
sorry to hear that moundhill, that sucks bigtime and I agree with everything posted thus far...But, since you have the deer figured out there, what are you're thoughts about the hunt club? what about joining and continuing to hunt there?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sucks to hear man. Always something changing our hunting grounds that we just can't control.

Hard to believe it with the industry the way it is now but 30 years ago we had no hunting shows on TV. The closest we got was Marty Stouffer, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and Jacques Cousteau lol.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
sorry to hear that moundhill, that sucks bigtime and I agree with everything posted thus far...But, since you have the deer figured out there, what are you're thoughts about the hunt club? what about joining and continuing to hunt there?
$7,000 a year...enough said lol. No way I could swing that. No way in hell

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Hate to hear this Jake. Unfortunately more and more people are losing farms to people with more money than sense. It's just how it is anymore. I hope the trend ends soon, but I don't see it happening.

Buckmaster

Portage
Most of my old farms are now developments, golf courses, and "green space". Thus the reason in 99 we bought our own slice of heaven.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I know the feeling...about the time I really feel I have a property figured out something happens and I'm looking for a new spot.

rsmith

for that price you could go out and buy your own land, that's ridiculous!! hope something works out for you

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's only going to get worse. Growing up in Mississippi everything is leased for hunting clubs and has been for a long time. And I'm sad to say it, but the way that our DNR has mismanaged our deer population more hunting clubs with harvest rules may not be a bad thing for the state. Sucks for us knowledgable hunters but the not so knowledgable ones are being allowed to kill the deer population to ridiculously low levels.