Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

River/Field boat

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
My buddy picked this boat up cheap and pretty beat up. Front end had ice damage and tons of holes everywhere. He welded everything back up and took the center seat out. We lined the floor with foam and put diamond plate down. Made the front platform bigger and made it with diamond plate as well for so the dog had a little grip. Then he built a long tail mud motor to be able to hunt the flooded fields we deal with a lot without getting stuck in all the corn fodder. Finally got to take the boat out the other night and took a 5 mile venture, she ran like a top! I've never driven a mud motor but I can tell you my next boat will have a surface drive mud motor.... these things are badass! I was surprised how quiet it was. I ended up buying the jet boat outright and he'll keep his mud boat so that we don't have to transport the boats back and forth, if we hunt my areas we'll take the jet, if we hunt his we'll take the mud boat. Pretty excited for this year!!!

Before:

AMiller

You gave that boat a second life!

What size is your Mud Motor, and what speed do you get out of it? Just curious, I have a 9.9 gd on my 16 ft flat bottom and I get 11 mph.

Not saying you need to by any means but if you want to beef up your blind, you could order 25 lbs of mixed color raffia grass for $140 from JS Stern Co. You can mix and match colors any way you want. But they have a 25 lb minimum, and you have to call them to order they do not accept internet orders. You would get more then enough raffia grass to cover your boat blind, and have a lot left over for layout blinds and all your buddies layout blinds as well.

http://jstern.com/

Below is a before and after pic of raffia grass.

Attachments

• 0711140837.jpg
    0711140837.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 0711141612.jpg
    0711141612.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Its a 14 hp motor, no idea on speed honestly.... no gps to tell me on this boat. Yea the blind isn't done at all, I just threw it up in the one pic so that it gave a refrence of what it looked like. Ill see how much raffia I have left after I get done doing the jet boat blind but I'm sure Ill have to order more. Had a buddy give me a great idea about running 6" stripes of landscaping burlap every so often along the blind as well to break it up and use less grass.

Still have a ways to go on this one before the mud boat gets grass: