Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

never won anything

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Participated in a lottery to hunt a local wildlife preserve today. I actually got drawn! I have from dec 8th to feb 1st. Looking over the rules I think I'm not allowed to scout though. I'll have to call to confirm that.

You guys see anything that stands out to you? From the river north and west to the yellow/red line is my zone.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm mo expert. And it's hard to tell without seeing the land. But I see a good spot being along the rivers edge to the pinch point tat dumps into the field.

Diablo54

Outside
The bottle neck of woods between the fields. Or the pinch between the river and field. What is planted in this field?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What frick and frack said and I'm also looking at where the single ridge meets the field on the left side about where the dark meets the lighter tone and where the yellow/red lines cross and also where each of the smaller ridges that branch off and enter the timber on the right side of the field. Is that a saddle or pig back connecting them? If so that would be an excellent place to check out too!
Like Frick said, nothing beats boot leather usage but you definitely have a great area to hunt! Good luck Dave!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Here's the rub, I'm not allowed to scout (if I'm reading the rules right, I'll call and clarify tomorrow) I did just come back from a drive by. The small field that is inside the boundary can't be seen from the road. Everything along the east side is beans. Corn to the north. At the bridge at the bottom of the pic, the banks are somewhat high, with a ridge between the river and the road. The river seems to be relatively shallow as well.
I'll see if I can bring up a clearer image from google.

By the time I can hunt this, there wiLloyd have only been 4 other people allowed in. 1 archery permit for oct. 1 archery permit for nov. And 2 gun permits, one for the first day of early muzzleloader and one for opening day of gun. I have sole permission for the last 2 months of archery. And I'm allowed to have a buddy hunt with me.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
From what I saw, there is some good open timber in there as well. I'm liking the bottleneck between the field and the river as well as the south west tip of the field.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Your welcome lmao. Glad I told you about the lottery now huh lol.

I am telling you, there are some good deer out there and probably a good spot to take Jess his first year. He will learn a lot from out there. Pretty much I would stay along the river and the corners of that hidden field back there as well as the furthest northern edge of the field or the river edge. I will get a map up and post some dots for you to look at.

Your the hunter and can't scout but nothing saying I can't go wonder around and just happen to get lost while looking at the rest of the place lol.

nis1

Participated in a lottery to hunt a local wildlife preserve today. I actually got drawn! I have from dec 8th to feb 1st. Looking over the rules I think I'm not allowed to scout though. I'll have to call to confirm that.

You guys see anything that stands out to you? From the river north and west to the yellow/red line is my zone.

What county are you in? I'm in summit and the metroparks do a drawing to thin the herd. My dad and hunting buddy got drawn so we have one piece of land from nov 8th till dec 19 then another from the 20th til the end of season. Bowhunting only, and same deal with the no scouting.

rsmith

Very cool to hear you won! Now if I was placing a stand I would put it where I highlighted the blue at, my reasoning is they will be,"in theory of course", running the creek or near it for easy access to the fields depending on what was planted their, there is a very thin patch of woods it looks like in between the creek and the field and that's where they may be crossing because of a easy path may be in their?? Just my 2 cents. But hope this may help or spark an idea with a placement.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Dante, if you go to bing.com and click on maps, you can zoom in pretty close...close enough to scan the property for heavily used trails already cut in...you can switch from an aerial view to the bird's eye view....If you use it, I think you're going to like it. Looks like it will be a fun property to hunt

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
The biggest question is where can you park to access your area? A lot of those points that are already pointed out but it all depends how you can get to them. If you have to come in from the west side it could make things tricky since we get a lot of western winds. How deep is the river? If you can access via it, then you are golden. Looks like a lot of timber/bedding on the east side, so I would venture to say there is a nice crossing somewhere from that timber into that small secluded field.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The little box that isn't included in the boundary on the southwest corner is a small old cemetery. Thats where I'm supposed to park. I think I can enter the woods next to the bridge and follow the river back.