Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

qad dropaway vs vapor trail limb driver?.

higbee13

new jersey
Ive shot a mathews my whole life and have had the qad dropaway since it 1st cameout...cant say anything bad about it I got my moneys worth and many many kills with it...but last week I was fine tuning the bow n noticed scuffs on the drop away ...redid my knocking point adjusted it over n over n it was just worn out...so I went to my bow guy here in nj and they put me on to the new limb driver by vapor trail...I had it papertuned and all the diagnostics done to the bow I will pick it up tomorow...anybody have feedback on this new limbdriver..im honestly fired up about it I love the concept of it attaching to the limbs ..you cannot go wrong....the only fear I have is the string attached to limb n rest getting snagged but as far as its performance I will know tomorow just wondering how its performed elsewhere

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
limb driver, if worried about maybe snagging on something just get an extra piece to keep in your pack and a allen wrench for the screw, can replace the cord in no time and be on your way.

runhunter

I dont know about no question... it's splitting hairs and similar to asking which is better Mathews, Hoyt etc.. The QAD offers full containment, which might or might not be an advantage to your style of hunting. Setting up, the QAD doesn't take much longer than the LD and when set up right, is just as good if not better. I dont think you can go wrong either way. I've used a QAD for years now, and have never had an issue. Bow guys at different shops may push certain items and brands, so I don't always just take their word as bond. I like to do my own research and tell them what I want. You are getting a great rest, no if's and or buts, but I wouldn't sat it's heads and tails better than a QAD. More of a personal preference IMO. Good luck with it though

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have the QAD on my Mathews and the LD on my Strother. I like the full containment on the QAD for walking around with an arrow nocked. However I don't do much of that. IMO, the LD is the best drop away on the market and I'm very happy with it to date.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
LD no question in mind. No timing, easy field repairs and just a simple yet effective rest.
Yup. It's is head and tails better than the QAD. It doesn't screw with your timing, you don't need a press to install, and it contains your arrow just as well as a QAD. Don't know many guys that would walk around with an arrow nocked and their bow upside down. I wouldn't worry about the cord snagging, as it won't have much slack in it anyway.

runhunter

You don't walk with your bow upside down? Hmmmm. Flute, you don't need a press to set up a QAD and it doesn't screw with your timing either, WHEN SET UP PROPERLY(that's the key)... and I agree bowhunter, the style of hunting you plan on doing, could influence your decision. I'm not saying QAD is the best rest ever made, but when set up right, it's a great rest that I've had to make no adjustments to in 3 years now. The limb driver is great also and has it's pros

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You don't walk with your bow upside down? Hmmmm. Flute, you don't need a press to set up a QAD and it doesn't screw with your timing either, WHEN SET UP PROPERLY(that's the key)... and I agree bowhunter, the style of hunting you plan on doing, could influence your decision. I'm not saying QAD is the best rest ever made, but when set up right, it's a great rest that I've had to make no adjustments to in 3 years now. The limb driver is great also and has it's pros

I forgot the QAD came with a plastic clamp for the cable, my fault. I always pressed my bow and put the rest cord through the cable and served it in, didn't personally like the clamp. my biggest beef with QAD was timing and fetching contact, everything has to be perfect. I like the fact that the LD is limb driven, and that is stays in contact with the arrow much longer. I like that I can look at the cable for the rest and know that it is taught and ready to go.

I really don't have any real issues with the QAD, and they have made improvements since I owned one to help with clearance issues.

And no, I don't walk around with an arrow nocked and my bow upside down. I like the idea of full containment, but I can't think of one time that the top bar on a QAD saved my hunt.

Occasionally, I can't help myself in being a smart ass. It's one of my better qualities. lol

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I dont know about no question... it's splitting hairs and similar to asking which is better Mathews, Hoyt etc.. The QAD offers full containment, which might or might not be an advantage to your style of hunting. Setting up, the QAD doesn't take much longer than the LD and when set up right, is just as good if not better. I dont think you can go wrong either way. I've used a QAD for years now, and have never had an issue. Bow guys at different shops may push certain items and brands, so I don't always just take their word as bond. I like to do my own research and tell them what I want. You are getting a great rest, no if's and or buts, but I wouldn't sat it's heads and tails better than a QAD. More of a personal preference IMO. Good luck with it though
I'll argue LD no question til I'm blue in the face...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
you're a fan, it's a good rest. I agree. What's there to argue?
Lol... Nothing really... That's the whole point. IMO, for most of the reasons stated above, if given the choice between the two it'd be the LD every time. It's really not even close.

runhunter

Your opinion/experience leads you to the LD, that's cool. Both are high quality, easy to tune, and have their pros/cons..like anything else. Wen something has worked flawlessly for me, over 6 years, I have a hard time believing another product is far superior. That's what makes bowhunting great. You may like Rage, I don't.. if they work for you, they work