Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Basement Foundation repair

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Does anybody have a working knowledge on this subject. I'm currently taking estimates from 5 area contractors.
My poured walls are severely cracked and some are bowing but it is not a structural issue at this point. All companies are A to A+ rated with the BBB.
My main issue is not knowing what is overkill and what will be adequate to solve our problems. The other issue is that everyone will have a different opinion and technique.
I can add pics and details if anyone can help and give their opinion.

teej89

NE PA
I could help you out, I am a structural engineer actually. Let's see the pics and details. I'm not licensed yet but I could give you my $0.02.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Excellent!

Our house was built in 1978 in clay and then back filled with clay.:smiley_blackeye:
There is a lot going on.

The first issue is at the front of the house where the garage and house meet at a corner. There is some stepping of the brick, the garage foundation is cracked and the drywall in the garage is torn.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
At the front of the house the basement wall is bowed in approximately 16' (long). It's approximately 1" off the sill in towards the house right under the front stoop which is sinking away from the house. It is causing some long horizontal spacing in the brick where the basement wall is leaning in the most. There are many new cracks in the basement wall at the front of the house. It's crushed my drop ceiling. There is some water during heavy rain. Yes, my work desk is cluttered.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
General cracking over all walls. I have no doubt shit concrete was used. I've made many repairs with polyurethane injected foam with the ports and epoxy seal. It's stopped the leaking but not the pressure of the expanding clay. New cracks have developed in between my repairs.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I understand why this is happening, I just need unbiased opinions on how to fix it correctly. With one company's estimate coming in at $31,800. I want to be damn sure.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You have a water problem not a structural problem. Well water is causing a structural problem

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm sorry to see you having this issue Mike and hope TJ or someone else can help you. Fuggin builders who cut corners doing this shit should be help accountable!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Foundation repairs are not cheap. Did "basement doctor" come up with the 30k bid?

The only advice I have is make sure you go with a reputable company that has been around for awhile and is will to give you a lifetime guarantee. My dad tried to save about 10 grand by having a "friend" from church do the repairs. It's been 10 years now and the cracks are back, wall shifted and the guy is not in business or anywhere to be found and of course no guarantee was given. I think he paid the guy about $20,000 to "fix" the basement and put in a new concrete driveway. On the plus side the driveway still looks ok...:smiley_depressive:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Basement Doc will be up from Lima next Wednesday. I know they will be comparable to the company that gave me the first estimate. Their plan is huge.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Helianchors? Hoelee shit mike you are in for a treat. Here is a principle I want him or whoever does work for you on this. Ask them if the footer was on stable ground footings, why is is now moving? If they can't answer that I suggest you move on. I have serious questions on their depth analysis and how they based their psi rating on existing soil without an analysis and do you get a credit if it's not needed to be that deep.

Last edited:

oakswamper

around Toledo
Helianchors? Hoelee shit mike you are in for a treat. Here is a principle I want him or whoever does work for you on this. Ask them if the footer was on stable ground footings, why is is now moving? If they can't answer that I suggest you move on. I have serious questions on their depth analysis and how they based their psi rating on existing soil without an analysis and do you get a credit if it's not needed to be that deep.

If his house is in wood county and they pull a permit it gets ugly and expensive. I have two contractor friends that won't do repair work in wood county, only new construction

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I haven't received the estimate for contractor number 2 but he does not want to excavate the exterior. He wants to do internal steel bracing. He guarantees no movement. I don't see this relieving the exterior pressures on the walls.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I agree with the drain tile and stone backfill, not the insulation though. It's pointless that deep and the thickness they are putting on is worthless.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I haven't received the estimate for contractor number 2 but he does not want to excavate the exterior. He wants to do internal steel bracing. He guarantees no movement. I don't see this relieving the exterior pressures on the walls.

Yep! Also know that any warranty they supply need to be backed up with something like an insurance policy. If there is no financial security it's just a piece of paper.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Mike you need to recaulk around your door and your brick need a a place to drain water out from behind it

teej89

NE PA
sorry bout the delayed response my internet wasn't working at the house last night. Anyways.... yeah your issue is the clay swelling up and pushing your basement wall inward. With the house being built in 1978 and the length of those cracks in the walls I would bet they don't have a whole lot of reinforcement in those walls and if they do they don't have them on the correct face of the wall.

I agree with Milo, my first thought yesterday was they need to get rid of the clay, add stone and add a foundation drain.

What's going on at the northwall of the garage? Piers sound a little crazy if you ask me. And I don't know what they're getting at by installing piers.