Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What broadheads are you shooting?

rsmith

Just as the title says, I'm just trying to figure out what I should get. If anyone has shot the NAP killzone please tell me what you think or what you think a good broadhead is.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I've shot 3 broadheads since I started bowhunting, I started with G5 Montecs, then moved to Rage 2-blade, now shooting Slick Trick Magnums. No complaints about flight for any of the three, I've killed deer with all of them. The Montecs and ST's are both tough as nails, I lean more towards a fixed blade these days, but have had some nasty blood trails with the Rage's as well.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I started hunting with Rage 2-blade and now shoot Slick Trick magnums. I shot a deer from the ground last year and it went through his bottom shoulder (I guess that's what it is), through his ribs and heart and then stuck deep into a tree. There ins't much stopping them from my experience and what others have said.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've killed deer with 9 different broadheads now I believe.

G5 Tekan II 100
G5 Montec 100
G5 Montec CS 100
Grim Reaper 100
NAP Spitfire 100
NAP Thunderhead 125
Muzzy 3-Blade 100
Rage 2-Blade 100
Slick Trick Magnum 100

Things I have learned about broadheads in my 14 years of bowhunting: Anything mechanical can, and will fail. A well built, tough, super sharp fixed blade on the end of a well match arrow coming out of a well tuned bow is the best of all worlds.

That said, Slick Trick Mags are my #1 choice and will be as long as they are made. I also carry G5 Montec CS's and would glady shoot another deer with one.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I have shot the G5 montec the slick trick standard and the grim reaper standard. By far I like the grim reapers. For me they shot just like my field points out to 50yds. And on top of the they leave nice blood trails if the animal makes it out of your sight. Good luck choosing there are lots of choices out there.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
293109_ts.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have shot all fixed blades. Muzzy or Slick Trick. Both have killed many deer for many people. I am all Slick Trick the last several years.

rsmith

My only thing is I'm shooting about 57 pounds and I know that's not a lot and using maxima red arrows which are lighter and I just want to make sure when I hit that deer the broadhead will cut good, I mean I know shot placement is everything and I can't agree more with that but in all reality when that deer comes though we all know how much adrenaline runs through your body so sometimes we may not make that perfect shot it may be a little high, low, left, or right. I guess I'm just worried with a lighter arrow and not a higher draw weight what would be a good broadhead for that

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My only thing is I'm shooting about 57 pounds and I know that's not a lot and using maxima red arrows which are lighter and I just want to make sure when I hit that deer the broadhead will cut good, I mean I know shot placement is everything but in all reality when that deer comes though we all know how much adrenaline runs through your body. I guess I'm just worried with a lighter arrow and not a ligh draw weight what would be a good broadhead for that

My bow is setup for 64lbs and I have had no issues with pass thru. The Slick Tricks have worked fine for my setup and I am by no means a great shooter. I would say I am an average shooter and have hit bone with the Slick Tricks and have killed every deer I have used them on so far. Furthest one made it 50 yards from my tree.

Not saying mechanical heads don't work as I have seen plenty that have but I won't use one.

Treed

Stark County
I'm shooting Slick Tricks right now but I think I'm about to go buy myself a pack of QAD Exodus and see how I like them. Nothing against the Tricks, I love them, I'm mostly just curious about the Exodus. My broad head box also has Hypodermics, Reapers, and some G5 Montecs in it.

Ricer2231

First thing I will say is that I am old school and think that if it works don't fix it. I shoot the old Muzzy four blade 100 grain broadhead that has a one inch cutting diameter. I've yet to lose a deer with one. I shoot these out of a Horton SuperMag crossbow.

I'm with ya. I shoot the 3 blade Muzzy 100s. Fortunately every deer I have shot at, and hit, has took the big dirt nap. You notice I made sure to add "and hit" lol.