Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Damn that's sharp.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just jammed a craft blade in my finger. Was taking the cap off and it snapped. Reflexes went to put it back on and jammed it into my index finger like warm butter. The cuts not bad but I could feel it hit bone. Had to cut the nerve because it's numb from the cut to the tip on that side. Gonna suck in the morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408503848.649656.jpg

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That sucks Joe, but it could have been worse. A girl I was dating in college cut about 1/4" of her index finger off with one working on an art project. She freaked out and ran out into the lounge of the dorm and nobody could calm her down. It was a mess.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That sucks Joe, but it could have been worse. A girl I was dating in college cut about 1/4" of her index finger off with one working on an art project. She freaked out and ran out into the lounge of the dorm and nobody could calm her down. It was a mess.

Very true. Could have been a lot worse. It bled like a stuck pig. I pulled it out by instinct and blood went all over the lower cabinets and dishwasher. Took only a few moments to coat the bottom of the sink. Jessica was freaking out about the numbness. I just laughed and said That's why God gave us 10 of them. If I cut one nerve every 33 years I'm doing pretty damn good. Just glad I didn't cut the tendon. From reading online the nerve is toast, too small to repair with surgery when it's past the last joint. Might reconnect if it's a real clean cut which this is. I'll know in a few days.

On a side note I don't think deer feel a thing when a broadhead runs through them at 300 fps. Hurts now but at the time it happened it was painless really. I've had pin pricks that hurt worse.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looked pretty deep when I looked and seen the LINE on the blade. Glad it wasn't worse and the blade was sharp.

I know about that nerve since I cut the same nerve in my left index finger at the base of my finger. Have not been able to feel the outside of my finger in years now. Had some grand rib 3 metal that was 24' hand unloading from my delivery truck slip and cut right across and I would also agree at the time it didn't hurt one bit. Just one of those " Oh Shit Something not good just happened " but no pain at all. Nerve never repaired itself and now if I hit that scar just right it feels like somebody just hit it with a sledge hammer lol.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Dang Joe that's a deep mofo. I use those blades and straight razor blades to splice large format film everyday. Never done that good of a job thankfully. Hope your nerve reconnects.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ouch. Hope it heals OK. I cut the nerve right behind the nail on my left index finger in 1973 cutting up a deer. Tip of the finger is still numb.

Talk about hurt. When I was about 15 I was using a darning needle to punch holes through some leather. It went through the leather and almost clear through my finger. With the hook on the end I couldn't pull it out. I packed it in ice for 3-4 hrs. until my mom and dad got home. My dad was drinking and 3 sheets to the wind and just pulled it out with a twist. It still hurts just thinking of it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Metal "No Trespassing" signs can be sharp too. Did that a couple years ago. Maybe last year? Don't remember anymore. Top of big knuckle on my left thumb. Got a little feeling back but there are places it is still numb to the touch. Thankfully not the pad of my thumb because that can cause you to lose some dexterity. A little numb spot or two in the hands sounds like it isn't all that uncommon. Bunch of us on here. lmao

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I did it to my pinky finger butchering a deer. Very last knuckle. Was numb for a few days but slowly came back. But when it gets real cold outside the tip will start stinging while rest are just cold

teej89

NE PA
dang man that's rough, I did that w/ a broadhead one time. Was all pissed off over something and didn't wanna take the time to get my broad head removal tool and used my hands. Ended up slicing my pointer and thumb clean to the bone and on an angle so the flap of skin was hanging down and I could see the bone. Didn't know I cut it until it felt like someone was pissing down my hand, however it was blood not piss lol

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I've got to find the pics of my hand I was quartering a deer and hit it with a brand new meat clever. Went a 1/4 inch into my bone cut tendeons. Doctor told me to take it easy till had surgery but I didnt listen it was gun week so I hunted the rest of the week went into surgery and they had to cut my wrist and pull the tendons back down my arm to re attach them.