Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question, help please

rsmith

Hey everyone, I was out today over seeding my plot with oats and noticed that I only had about 1/3 of the pics I usually get on my cameras. Also the bucks that have usually been showing up have not shown up once, now I know I'm just getting over eager and relying on my cameras to much but I just find it odd that none of them showed up besides once or twice. is it normal for any of you guys to get pics like this closer to them shedding velvet? I know you can't pattern deer but I am just curious as to why this may occurred and if you guys have the same problem/problems even throughout the season or before season? I'm still very new to hunting so I'm just really trying to learn as much as I can and any help is appreciated!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No need to worry because they bounce around a lot from time to time. You may still need to cut back on your cam pulls/visits though. It's tough to do I realize cuz we've all done it but the bigger mature deer will not put up with that no matter how well you feed them.
It helps if you have several properties you can run cams on so you can get your card swapping fix to calm down some by alternating them on a weekly basis by pulling just one property at a time. I don't have that luxury where I hunt but maybe you do.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. They bounce around sometimes. I've had bucks on a can 3-4 times a week for a month. Then all of a sudden they disappear for a week or two only to show up on another can a mile away the whole two weeks. They usually come back to their original cam. But after they peel their velvet it's a crap shoot where they'll end up. Totally different animal then.

rsmith

Thank you for your response, I know I need to cut down I pull about once every 5 days but I am now pulling once every 12 because I know I'm putting a lot of pressure on it. I do not have more than one spot which is upsetting too but I was just curious. I will for sure cut down on visits so I will once check it 3 more times before season starts.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Patience grasshopper! Let those cams soak for 2-3 weeks unless they are easy to get to and your diligent with your scent control. And like the others said, deer bounce around. With the availability of food, they have plenty of places to visit!

rsmith

Patience grasshopper! Let those cams soak for 2-3 weeks unless they are easy to get to and your diligent with your scent control. And like the others said, deer bounce around. With the availability of food, they have plenty of places to visit!

Haha okay! I will try and control my urge to check! It's so hard but I guess I need to so they don't feel pressured as much. Thanks everyone I will let things soak for at least 2 weeks starting tomorrow, I need to put new batteries in the cameras before I let that happen, don't want to risk letting them die half way!

rsmith

Apple trees around here are really sagging with fruit. They are probably hitting a different food source for now.

That's what I was thinking too, there is a guy with 20 apple trees about a mile and a half up the road from me so maybe they are just wondering over their?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Apples, apples and apples! But them by the bushels and watch the deer show up. You will also get daytime pics as well. They compete for them, so you will need a good supply.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My parents just delivered 35 gallons of early apples and they are going out tomorrow.

rsmith

Those are aome good ideas! I'll have to do that with one bushel of them than just pour the last 3 out in piles