Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The PCR Project

A few months ago I bought a Marlin 1895 GBL (Ilion New York Remington production). It one of the most accurate lever guns I've shot. The fit finish and finish on this rifle is about what you would expect for a 500 dollar rifle produced in 2014. However I can do better. These are three stages I'm going to do to make this my ideal off hand PCR.
1. refit the stock
2. trigger job
3. make a nice leather sling

Refitting the stock
The stock on this rifle is brown laminate. I don't really care for how thick the stock is and the fore arm is poorly fitted. The machine cut checkering is also not very attractive. Disassembly of the model 1895 can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9YrijjCxI

before

For the butt stock I used a flat double cut rasp to remove the checkering reshape the wrist of the stock slightly and smooth the transition between the stock and the butt plate. I then used 80, 120, 220, 600, 800, 1200 grid sand papers and steel wool to smooth and finish the stock. I finished the stock with three coats of tung oil.
After picture

The fore arm stock is going to require much more fitting and work. As with the butt stock I use the double cut rasp to do most of the rough shaping. Here is a picture of half way through rasp and file work.

Rough fit of the fore arm to receiver. I am using 80 grid sand paper to do the final fit of the fore arm.

Once you are close to getting a flush fit it is time to switch to 220 grit paper. At this point it is important to go slow and check the fit often as you progress. When you start getting close to getting a flush color the high spots with a pencil and remove the pencil marks with sand paper then recheck the fit of the stock.

The fore arm fitting is complete.

Once you have the stock fore arm fitted it is time do the finishing sanding. I used 600, 800, 1200 grid sand papers and steel wool. I coated the fore arm with 3 coats of tung oil.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice work.
My 2nd yr. production Marlin 1895 rifle will shoot 3 shots into one 50 caliber hole at 50 yds. off sandbags. 3 shots is all my nerves can handle.

Last edited: