Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buying eyeglasses on line

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I needed new glasses 11 months ago. My son said my DIL has been buying her eyeglasses on line for years.
All you need is a eye exam info.
So 11 months ago I bought a pair of bifocals from zennioptical.com for 60.85 shipping included.
I couldn't have been more happier with the glasses. They were the only plastic glasses I've had in 25 yrs. that didn't scratch. And I'm hard on glasses.
I was cutting brush and caught a twig under the right ear piece and tore the hinge apart. So I ordered a new pair today and still 60.85 total.
That's for bifocals, heavy duty UV and scratch resistant coating, and titanium flex frames shipping included.
Be delivered in 7-10 days.

Oh by the way I can't see without glasses. So I took a bread tie wire and wired the 2 pieces somewhat together to get me by till the new ones get here. Not pretty but it works. LOL

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool stuff. Sounds like you found a good deal. Lots of things are cheaper online since they don't have the overhead of an actual store. Stores try to play the markup game because they're the only store in town and lack competition.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Eyeglasses have a terrible retail markup. I got my 1st pair of bifocal grasses 30 yrs. ago when I turned 40. I had a friend that owed me a favor and he owned a custom lens manufacturing company. He made me 2 pairs of bifocal glasses one with regular color lens and one was sunglasses at 23.00 each. I priced them at the major eyeglass stores and they were 289.00. That's a 1200% markup. Unreal profit.
At the same time had a BIL working at a eye place and contact lens cost the store 8.00 and they sold them for about 200.00.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My dad has purchased his last couple of pairs online and has had similar experiences as you. He's been very pleased as well.

In defense of the local retailers of eye glasses, they have to have a hefty mark up to support the brick and mortar building, all the expenses that go with it, an hopefully have a little left over to live on. It isn't like eye glasses are a daily purchase for folks. A repeat customer would be someone they see every couple of years. Like the buggy whip manufactures, local eye glass retailers are likely on the way out. Sort of like local sporting goods stores.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
True words Brock. With the devaluation of the dollar and everything going up in price. Brick and mortar retailers are on the way out. We've got to stretch our dollars any way we can. It's not good.