Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mountain Lion in Jefferson County

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It appears the hunter could become the hunted in Jefferson County. A few weeks ago a wildlife official spotted a mountain lion in Fernwood State Forest, just minutes from my house.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/-jefferson-county-residents-urged-take-caution-after-mountain-lion-sighting-5172.shtml

This morning, a friend of mine who lives at the end of my road posted this on Facebook

View attachment 23278

View attachment 23277

It appears the lion has headed from The state forest on the southern end of the pic, up Barber's Hollow, toward the Wintersville area. The confirmed track is about a ten minute walk from my house.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
OK just keep it on your side of the state.
The 2 attachments don't work.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408115248.885499.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408115257.220678.jpg

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
At least Ohio officials are willing to admit what it is. WV DNR denies it every time. They say WV doesn't have mtn lions and if they can't deny it they say it must have been a pet that someone let go. They have been caught red handed letting them go and still denied it.

Every time I see fresh mt lion tracks in Washington I get a little more aware. Ive see them on 3 separate occasions. once while mountain biking once while backpacking and once in the back yard of the previous house we were renting. hopefully I jump one while bear hunting and I can fill my lion tag.

I want it all......lions, tiger, bears, elk. Everything that was here back in 1800 I'd like reinstated.

There isn't enough uninhabited woodland left in Ohio for elk. Mt lion bear will return if given time. the black bears are returning.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wonder if they missed one during the big release a couple years ago? With as many critters as that guy had it wouldn't surprise me if they missed one or two critters.