Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

anyone dipping some traps?

Diablo54

Outside
I wouldn't dip or wax a dp. They will have all of the wax chewed off of it first catch. They are attracted to the shiny metal anyway

I "brown" mine leg holds

Power wash the traps and degrease them
I then get out enough clean 5 gallon buckets to hold the traps
Then with gloves on
I take the husk off Black Walnuts and pack the traps in the husks and add a little water ( maybe 2 cups per 5 gallon bucket of traps and hushs)
Make sure the buckets are heaped with husks

Set the buckets out of the way for 2 - 3 weeks .....yep that was the hard part
After a few weeks dump out the buckets and again with gloves dig out the traps
Hang outside to allow the traps to dry

Lots of blackwalnut trees around , so I figure the coon , fox , rats and Yotes don't fear the little smell left on the traps from the blackwalnut husks

The blackwalnut husks seem to leave a coating on the traps , helping at least a little to not rust

OH , if you forget the gloves , your hands will be a interesting shade of yellow/brown for at least a week

The traps will now be a nice shade of brown , not rust
Also have no human smell

John

Ricer2231

Got a dozen 1 1/2s and 18 110s brewing in vinegar and water. Gonna take them to the car wash and power wash them then spray paint them flat black. I picked the 1 1/2s and 6 of the 110s and 17 trap stakes Friday. Gonna use them this year for mink, muskrat, and coon sets.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408241979.108035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408241990.888391.jpg

Ricer2231

I pulled the traps out of the vinegar water and headed to the car wash today. Sprayed them off real good and brought them home, dried them off, and got them and 21 110s painted today. Then I decided to go ahead and boil a dozen 1 3/4 yote traps and wax them too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408324416.982515.jpg
This first pic is of the traps all laid out at the car wash.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408324447.414940.jpg
This second pic is after I sprayed them off real good, what a difference!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408324475.667516.jpg
Third pic is after they're all painted up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408324527.138210.jpg
Fourth pic is boiling the 1 3/4s.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408324570.008207.jpg
Fifth pic is after they are all waxed up.

Busy day but I couldn't take it, not doing something trapping related, anymore. Haha

Ricer2231

I'm getting there bud. Painted ten more mink/ coon traps last night. Gonna get tags on them today.
Heading to the Ohio Trappers Assoc. Convention in two weeks. I will be officially broke after that day. Haha.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Was reading the predictions for this season and they mentioned coon, mink, muskrat, and beaver prices would be down. With the availability of cheaper farm mink hitting the market it's driven down wild mink and rat prices. They said coon wouldn't be worth it unless it was top grade and lessor grades will likely go unsold.

They did say however that coyote and fox was up with good demand.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be trapping coon anyway, there's way too many of those bastards around here. Yotes will be snared for sure, I really don't care how much the fur price is, they need to die!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll be trapping coon anyway, there's way too many of those bastards around here. Yotes will be snared for sure, I really don't care how much the fur price is, they need to die!

Does snaring cost grade of fur quality on yotes vs foot traps?

Ricer2231

Does snaring cost grade of fur quality on yotes vs foot traps?

Doesn't hurt them at all Joe. All they are buying is the back fur.

I will be trapping all of the above and may put a little more emphasis on yotes and fox this year. I really think the prices won't be quite as bad as they're saying. NAFA basically cleaned house at their last auction and NAFA is predicting a small decline but they always do. I'll be laying steel come the morn of November 10th more because I love to do it than for the paycheck at the end of the year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not too side track your thread but I've seen two dead red fox in the last few days..... Apparently there're bounding back around here lol.... Both were good size as well.....

Ricer2231

I haven't trapped a red or grey fox so far but I'm gonna put some serious effort into getting them this year. I would love to have one of each tanned to put in my man cave.