Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Duck Blind Lotteries Set for Aug. 16

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Ohio State Parks Duck Blind Lotteries Set for Aug. 16
COLUMBUS, OH - More than 290 permits are available to hunters wishing to construct a blind to hunt ducks and geese on select Ohio State Park lakes this waterfowl hunting season. Lottery drawings will be held the morning of Saturday, Aug. 16, at 17 state parks that offer the duck blind permits, along with lotteries for 71 permits and the use of 75 duck blinds available on two state wildlife areas.

Interested applicants must appear in person at a participating state park office with proof of a 2014 Ohio hunting license, state wetlands stamp endorsement in the applicant's name, and a signed 2014 or 2013 federal duck stamp. Applicants under the age of 18 are encouraged to have a parent or legal guardian present to sign the permit contract, and must provide the required license and stamps.

Participating state parks include Portage Lakes and West Branch in northeast Ohio; East Harbor, Indian Lake and Lake Loramie in northwest Ohio; Buck Creek, Caesar Creek, Cowan Lake, East Fork, Hueston Woods, Rocky Fork and Shawnee in southwest Ohio; and Alum Creek, A.W. Marion, Buckeye Lake, Deer Creek, and Delaware in central Ohio.

Applications will be taken beginning at 7:30 a.m. at most parks, with the lottery drawings at 8 a.m. at the park office, unless otherwise noted in the list.

Each hunter can apply for only one duck blind permit, and no one can apply or draw for another person. There is a $50 non-refundable permit fee for the state park lottery winners. Most locations accept cash, checks or credit cards for payment, except for Portage Lakes where payment is by cash (exact change) or check only. Lottery winners have 45 days to construct their blinds, and all blinds must be dismantled by March 15, 2015.

Waterfowl hunting opportunities are also available through lottery drawings at the Mercer Wildlife Area on Grand Lake St. Marys and the Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area adjacent to Mosquito Lake State Park. The drawings will be held at the respective wildlife area offices on Saturday, Aug. 16. There is no fee for permits at Mercer Wildlife Area or use of the blinds at Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area. Lottery participants must also have a current Harvest Information Program (HIP) certification.

Information on waterfowl hunting seasons, locations and restrictions will be discussed by park staff and wildlife officers during the lotteries. For general information about hunting seasons and regulations, call 800-WILDLIFE or visit wildohio.com.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.

For more information, contact:
Eileen Corson, ODNR Office of Communications
614-265-6860

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
After being 1st pick at a drawing last year and seeing exactly how they run the blinds at D.C. I will never give $50 away again. There's times I couldn't hunt during the week and would drive by scouting my blind only to see people in it, hunting next to it, ect. Why give $50 for a spot that's not even yours? I'll just take my boat and kill em wherever this year. The only advantage to a blind is if you are hunting it that day, someone cant take it from you.... big whoopty do!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
After being 1st pick at a drawing last year and seeing exactly how they run the blinds at D.C. I will never give $50 away again. There's times I couldn't hunt during the week and would drive by scouting my blind only to see people in it, hunting next to it, ect. Why give $50 for a spot that's not even yours? I'll just take my boat and kill em wherever this year. The only advantage to a blind is if you are hunting it that day, someone cant take it from you.... big whoopty do!

Never seen much use in them either. But I think there's a rule about using others blinds. I've thought about making a ghili suit cover for my kayak and using it like a layout blind. The kayak is 12 feet. I figure I can pick a spot and just back it up to the bank and put a deek spread out front. To keep it from blowing around and pointing outwards just drive two stakes in the bottom about 9 feet from the bank which makes a little slip for the kayak. Decoy bags with deeks float so I could just tie them to the back and tow them. There are blinds on our reservoir, but there are tons of areas that aren't accessible by foot they don't have blinds.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Never seen much use in them either. But I think there's a rule about using others blinds. I've thought about making a ghili suit cover for my kayak and using it like a layout blind. The kayak is 12 feet. I figure I can pick a spot and just back it up to the bank and put a deek spread out front. To keep it from blowing around and pointing outwards just drive two stakes in the bottom about 9 feet from the bank which makes a little slip for the kayak. Decoy bags with deeks float so I could just tie them to the back and tow them. There are blinds on our reservoir, but there are tons of areas that aren't accessible by foot they don't have blinds.

You'd be surprised how deadly that setup could be! Small and easily concealable.... not some giant boat with a big spread in front of it. The biggest thing is they usually drop the water a TON so your original blind is 75' from the waters edge by season. With a kayak you could look like a small little brush pile on the edge of the water and murder them!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kayaks are deadly, no doubt about it. They can difficult to shoot from though. Stability isn't exactly they're forte.