Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frige disposal?

tuffshot

The Crew
Does anyone have any info on refrigerator disposal.
All the numbers I have called either do not know anything or I get "please wait on the line we are experiencing a high volume of calls" BS.
Ain't no wonder they end up on the front porch or along a dirt road.:tantrum:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Put it along the road and put a FREE sign on it. It'll be gone in the morning.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
not sure what is up in your neck of the woods but around here you can get 30-40 bucks for turning in the fridge to the local scrap yard. i have taken several. They pay you for the freon and the metal.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've heard the tag thing before. Most scrap yards will say if it doesn't have Freon they don't care how it was released or whatever. If you were to accidentally cut or damage one of the copper lines in the back it will not have Freon anymore.

Or do the "free" sign, or tell AEP it works great, lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Check with your garbage collector also. Most will take it for a small fee.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The "free" sign works well around here too, it's amazing some of the shit people will take. We got a 12 yard dumpster to clean out our basement and garage, had the thing completely full one night, when I got home from work the next day it was less than half full.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A few years back when we were cleaning out our parents home, you'd have people stop to take things while we were inside. One guy who lived nearby took an old bike & rode it home, then came back & took an old fridge that had still been working from the late 50's, even though we had just cut the cord. We got lucky he took it. My parents never got rid of ANYTHING !

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I replaced all of the old brown interior doors in my house with white six panel doors. I set 12 of them out by the road for the garbage hauler to pick up the next morning. The next morning I noticed overnight someone took all of them. When I returned home that evening they had returned all of them. Bastards took them all and I guess none of them fit so they brought them back. Crappy part was the garbage man ran that day so I had them for another week.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I took the doors off my fridge. Also took out the compressor and cut off the coils from the back (the copper is worth more separate anyhow). My scrap yard said it's not a 'fridge if in pieces. But are required by law to tell you about having it evacuated if still whole.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I replaced all of the old brown interior doors in my house with white six panel doors. I set 12 of them out by the road for the garbage hauler to pick up the next morning. The next morning I noticed overnight someone took all of them. When I returned home that evening they had returned all of them. Bastards took them all and I guess none of them fit so they brought them back. Crappy part was the garbage man ran that day so I had them for another week.

That's a classic act. My brother would have taken them and sold for 20-30 at the flea market.

Couple years ago the County had a free Freon pickup day. The son and I had 2 freezers and a frig to get rid of. I call for a pickup appointment. Set them along the road. The pickup crew came and called me to ask where I put them. Some low life took all 3 and ran out of room so they dumped their trash in my lawn to make room.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's a classic act. My brother would have taken them and sold for 20-30 at the flea market.

Couple years ago the County had a free Freon pickup day. The son and I had 2 freezers and a frig to get rid of. I call for a pickup appointment. Set them along the road. The pickup crew came and called me to ask where I put them. Some low life took all 3 and ran out of room so they dumped their trash in my lawn to make room.

These were just the old laminate paneling hollow interior doors. Probably buy a new one without the jamb for 20 bucks.

People will pick up anything from the side of the road. They'll steal too. I hauled a bunch of junk out of the garage and threw it in a pile to take to the dump that weekend. Came home from work one evening and there was some guy rummaging through it. It wasn't even out by the road but 120 feet from it up by my house. His excuse was "I thought it was trash". As you can imagine my reply was quite colorfully expressed. In short with many words missing I said. It may be but it's not your trash. It's not in your yard. You don't have permission. And your about to have more problems than being an idiot on your hands.

Fuggin scrapers.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
2 years ago CSX was dropping railcars off at our facility to be loaded. They were a bit overzealous and knocked the hell out of our stopper at the end of our spur. They said pull it out and they would replace it. I hauled it to the scrap yard and they never even asked about it being railroad iron. I thought for sure I would have to have them call our manager to get the OK to accept it. Most of them will take anything if your willing to haul it in. But if you call they are probably gonna give you the law abiding answer to cover their ass

tuffshot

The Crew
Problem solved. First thanks for all the input. A local small business trash collector was called, he came yesterday to take it, when I told him it still works he said he was looking for one for his building. So when she blows it will be his move for it's his problem.