Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio allows rifles!

tuffshot

The Crew
I am interested in getting a rifle for this years deer season. With all of the straight wall shells listed in the Ohio regs, which would be the most available? I was thinking of a 44 Mag, lever action. Any info would be appreciated. Not sure if China mart is going to sell anything in these calibers, so I was wondering if anyone else is interested.

I intended to be all over this, when the PCR regulation passed, but I like handgun hunting too much. A Rossi in .44 Mag. had my interest, due to cost, reliability, accuracy and barrel length options. If you're looking at a Henry Big Boy, Marlin or Uberti, be prepared for some sticker shock.

Bowhunter57

tuffshot

The Crew
Yep, I was aware of the sticker shock. I just want to make sure the ammo is readily available for which ever caliber selected. I am going to look up some old friends who deal in guns on the side.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Probably calibers 44 Mag. or 45-70 would be best bet on ammo available almost everywhere.
IMHO I consider 357 mag. a little light for deer hunting. In the right hands and picked shots it would be OK but it's just not my thing.
I'm luck as I have both 44 Mag. Ruger auto and 45-70 lever action rifles I bought 25 yrs. ago. I've used both in the past. I'll go with the 45-70 just to do it with a PCR the 1st yr. if I'm so lucky.

If your interested in a single shot I have a nice H&R Shikari 45-70 for sale at 250.

tuffshot

The Crew
I'm looking at a 44mag Ruger and a 45long Colt Henry.
Ammo costs are the same and availability so it is just the choice of bolt action on the Ruger or Lever action on the Henry.
I am partial to the lever action.
Any input?