Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Possible pipeline through our land

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We only have 7 acres. Not so sure about this, I like my trees and it wouldn't be the same if they fugged it up. What kind of royalties would we be looking at?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407461882738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407461882738.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 98

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I gave permission 2 months ago for a gas pipeline survey. This the 3rd gas pipeline going across my farm in 6 yrs.
The lease amount is different for each property. Distance, size of pipe, damage to property.
In my case they are going across 1 of the last 2 building lots left on this road for over 2 miles each way. That cost them a royalty in my case because they devalue my building lot value.
Look at this way, hold out for the best price. But keep in mind you probably can't stop the pipeline.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So what if I don't sign the survey paper allowing them to step foot on my land? This will be a 42" main line running from Carroll county all the way up too Michigan and into Canada.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Pipelines are disasters. Steer clear if you don't want things fugged up. I hate them through our place. They just mow till they get bored. They know no boundaries.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Exactly what it meAns. They hire out mower hack jobs and just mow till they think it looks good. Have lost a load of trees to their careless asses

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For starters if this is a FERC regulated line, you have no say, so take it all in stride. Secondly, allowing them to survey does not mean you'll end up with a right of way on you. Third, it'll be good $ if it does go through. You won't be entitled to "royalties", but will receive compensation for signing a right of way agreement and/or damages.

Here's my advice: Let them do the survey. Don't be "that guy" and stand in the way of progress. Our country needs jobs and no other industry is providing them like oil and gas right now. If you get to the point where you start talking specifics on contracts and money, call me and I'll help you any way I can. That's what I do for a living, so I'll make sure you don't get swindled. As for money, it should be upwards of $40 per foot if they don't low ball you or go with eminent domain. My guess is IF this line gets approved and IF it gets built, it will be federally regulated which means you won't have much say in it, so get off on the right foot and play ball on the surveying front. If you decide to be Tommy Toughguy now, it could seriously bite you in the ass later on.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Don't get too worked up about it. I would say probably 25% of these that are proposed actually get built.

I think they are pretty serious about this one. Construction will begin in January 2016 and they say that the whole line from Carroll county too Michigan will be done by December 2016. We plan on building a home on this land right around that time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As for maintenance and mowing, you get those specifics in writing up front. Milo inherited a right of way, so he doesn't have much say. You may not either in the long run, but there are terms and conditions that can be drafted in to a contract that will prevent many of the headaches he has endured.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What I would do for a talking point is find you local zoning and see if the lot can be split and put 2 houses on it and get the average sale price for development property in your area. That way if they ruin a development lot and you lose income the court will consider it a bigger loss than what they want to pay.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
As for maintenance and mowing, you get those specifics in writing up front. Milo inherited a right of way, so he doesn't have much say. You may not either in the long run, but there are terms and conditions that can be drafted in to a contract that will prevent many of the headaches he has endured.

Yep I have the largest 100 right of way I've ever seen and they have marked the boundary twice and still mow outside of it. I bet they are over 130 feet wide. They whack 8 sawtooth oaks that were 20 feet tall foot no reason and well outside their easement. They are getting criminal tresspassing charges next time

Huckleberry Finn

I think they are pretty serious about this one. Construction will begin in January 2016 and they say that the whole line from Carroll county too Michigan will be done by December 2016. We plan on building a home on this land right around that time.

There is also $40 million worth of steel in the ground on the Bluegrass Pipeline and that just got cancelled. Some of them do get built. The FERC process takes about 2 years, minimum. If they can run parallel permits, they still have to get many other federal and local permits. Any one of those can throw a kink in a pipeline (like the Keystone XL).

You're ahead of the game and you can do your homework up front and put yourself in a good position to leverage a lease to your benefit.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yep I have the largest 100 right of way I've ever seen and they have marked the boundary twice and still mow outside of it. I bet they are over 130 feet wide. They whack 8 sawtooth oaks that were 20 feet tall foot no reason and well outside their easement. They are getting criminal tresspassing charges next time

I'm assuming that they didn't pay for those oaks? Man, I'd be fighting mad!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Should I try and have a meeting with the neighbors and gather their thoughts on this? I was out there today and my neighbor too the east seems pretty excited about it, he must think that they will just come in, dig a little trench and give him money.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm assuming that they didn't pay for those oaks? Man, I'd be fighting mad!

No they replaced them with 3 foot trees. They have gotten a dozen pine trees too. They were producing trees and now we essentially are starting over. Texas eastern can kiss my ass