Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Droptine bucks

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Alright you antler aficionados.

If a buck has a droptine does he always keep that year to year or can he age and grow out of a droptine? If one year they have a little drop that is say 4-5" long could they lose that or have it be shorter the following year?

I had a droptine on cam last year and my hunting buddy that hunts the same property has a buck on cam this year that looks to have a small bump on the same side as the buck from last year that had the 4-5" drop.

Just thought I would ask and see what your thoughts are. Thanks fellas. I will get pics up in just a bit.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Last year

PICT0112_zpsa12667d32_zpsa5e6a801.jpg 20140804_143800_zps19042ff3.jpg

This year

2014080395181613_zpsd8f42a21.jpg

Last edited:
IMO once a deer shows a certain characteristic they tend to continue to show it in years to come. Whether it's stickers, splits, etc.. I would think a droptine would be the same situation unless it's caused by something like an injury or bug bite maybe.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO once a deer shows a certain characteristic they tend to continue to show it in years to come. Whether it's stickers, splits, etc.. I would think a droptine would be the same situation unless it's caused by something like an injury or bug bite maybe.

I'm thinking you are correct. My son several years ago seen a droptine 2 yrs. in a row. Then a year latter we found a scull in my woods and the droptine was in the same location. I'll post a picture of this nice scull.
Never found out why the buck died. I talked to the neighbor that hunts and he never seen it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is kind of my thoughts as well and after looking at these pics on a bigger screen side by side I think it is a different buck. The droptine was between the brow tine and the G-2 but this new buck has a bump way past that spot on his main beam.

I think it is just a funny kicker bump on the new buck that might be pretty cool in a couple years TOO bad he will not be around to see it. Seems bucks in this area just vanish when they start to get good. Lost 2 big bucks that I have no idea where they went...POOF...GONE.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Some do not carry drop tines from one year to the next. IMO, just looking at the pics you have posted here, I'd say that is the same deer. He has a unique look to him, antlers almost look like they are open and waiting to catch something. :)

runhunter

Agreed, they may have a non-typical gene, and may grow splits on 2's/3's, kickers, or other trash, but a deer with drop tine(s) is not guaranteed to grow them year after year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Tough call.... the deer I've seen with them tend to keep them or some kind of similar characteristic year after year. Watch one buck as a 2 yr old had a drop on the left, at 3 it was on the right, and at 4 he had double drops. I've also seen them lose them after carrying them for one year and throw trash elsewhere. Majority of the time they tend to throw that same gene imo though.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Tough call.... the deer I've seen with them tend to keep them or some kind of similar characteristic year after year. Watch one buck as a 2 yr old had a drop on the left, at 3 it was on the right, and at 4 he had double drops. I've also seen them lose them after carrying them for one year and throw trash elsewhere. Majority of the time they tend to throw that same gene imo though.

I agree with this as well. Many outside factors like health, stress and afflictions can alter or change these racks too. Heck, in there very early stages after they shed you can take a piece of the membrane(lack of a more accurate term) and remove it from the pedicle entrance and wipe it below your tricep and make your own droptine. LMAO