Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Farmland USA via ST RT 4

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This past week I had the pleasure of traveling down ST RT 4 from Cedar Point to ST RT 23 just south of Bucyrus on our long drive home to the Cincy area. We went through towns of Attica and Chatfield along our way as well as Bucyrus. I don't believe I've ever been on that road unless it was when I was TOO younger to remember. I thought of the TOO members here who talk about their hunting strategies when hunting the flat land and small blocks of woods in between large amounts of AG.
It was a breath of fresh air seeing the beautiful farms and quiet small towns along my way as I drove home. Saw one dead velvet buck and one doe all the way from CP to I-270.

Did I pass any TOOzers homes along my way not far off my route? I know when I went through Delaware I was close to several. I saw a huge body deer in a beanfield just north of where 315 took off from 23 and saw some great suburban honeyholed around there TOO!

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
There is a stretch just North of 315/23 (Both sides of the road) that harbors some good and great bucks. Every time I have to travel through there I'm rubber-neckin'. There is a house right on the NW corner of 315/23 that has 2 grass fields behind it. I seen one that HAD to be a Booner there one rainy day just before season opened.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's about where I saw this big sumbitch! I slowed down and started to try and get a better look that's when my wife whose riding shotgun said, "quit looking for deer and watch the road!!!":smiley_blackeye:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was just in Attica yesterday running a 5k. My wife is from that area. Some nice country down there for sure. The woodlots only get smaller as you NW from there.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
When you went thru Bucyrus you was only 10-15min from my house. If you would have had time and I would have known I could have taken you on a tour of my hunting grounds to get your thoughts on it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That's about where I saw this big sumbitch! I slowed down and started to try and get a better look that's when my wife whose riding shotgun said, "quit looking for deer and watch the road!!!":smiley_blackeye:

LOL..... I know the feeling! I found a way around it, I let her drive and I have more time for deer! rotflmao

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey Ric I was in Bucyrus friday that is where we get our pheasants from for the farm. I take 270 to 71N then 37 W to23N and 98 right into Bucyrus saves alot of time not going through Delaware. If I remember correctly that is where Roger Rothaar is originally from.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ricster you just came through my back yard. We currently live 30mins east of home now, but all of Tevan's and I's family is still in perkins, castalia, monroeville, bellevue, and sandusky. You have now seen what I grew up hunting on. Hard to find wood sections over 10 acres and you need to know how to work fence rows lol. Also why I LOVED going to OU and hunting SE Ohio! The road I grew up on deads end into NASA Plumbrook (runs parallel with Rt. 4) and I have pushed many a deer along that fence when they get out. Just a totally different type of hunting up here in north central ohio.

Next time any of you are in the area, please let me know and we can arrange for a perch sandwich and a cold one. I travel east for work and west for family so Sandusky/Rt 250/Rt 4/Rt 101 are usual travel routes. Like Gern said, you need to hit the water. The fishing has been strong all spring-summer!

Huckleberry Finn

Been there, done that. I love driving 23 during the fall too...usually see some good deer and love driving it during harvest.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow, pretty cool seeing countryside many y'all grew up seeing everyday.

Chad, buddy why did you think I asked how many could fit in your boat about 3 weeks ago! Lmao My wife and I and the girls were in Maumee bay for a big Volleyball tourney last Mon. night thru late Wed. night then driving an hour on the ripoff of a toll road to Breakers Express at around 11pm Wed night. Then we went to CP all day before the long drive home. It was a great family trip but fishing just was t in the cards unfortunately.
BTW, I thought of our ole Philbert and a few others as I headed up 75 through all that fuggin construction north of Dayton all the way past Lima to South of Toledo. Southbound traffic was terrible but it wasn't too bad going north though. Thanks for the offer and I'd like to take you up on it sometime!

Brian, yes I believe you are correct that Roger Rothaar is from Bucyrus! He was definitely a great whitetail hunter and a very knowledgable on how to kill mature bucks. I remember talking to Mike Rex about him several times as he told be Roger actually was one of the first to use trip wire/string and cameras/clocks thus leading to where we are in the TC technology we have now.

Adam(redcloud), man, it would have been awesome to stop by and shoot the shit with you and Dave(Dante) but we were dogass tired but the look on my families face would have been priceless had I said, "Well girls, y'all hang tight here in the car while we go have a look see in that clump of trees o'er yonder!"rotflmao

Adam (fi-cent), pretty cool seeing where you and Bill chased critters buddy! Definitely an entirely different ball game and strategy in hunting deer up in them parts! The drive down 4 was very relaxing and the scenery was a beaut!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Adam(redcloud), man, it would have been awesome to stop by and shoot the shit with you and Dave(Dante) but we were dogass
tired but the look on my families face would have been priceless had I said, "Well girls, y'all hang tight here in the car while we go have a look see in that clump of trees o'er yonder!"rotflmao

I can hear it now..."HERE WE GO AGAIN" lmao

Next time you plan on heading up this way again let me know and we will take a ride buddy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can hear it now..."HERE WE GO AGAIN" lmao

Next time you plan on heading up this way again let me know and we will take a ride buddy.

More like: I can hear it now. . . .vroom, vroom. Ric: "Hey! Was that my truck starting? HEYYY! Honey! Don't leeeeeeeaavve!" lmao

I was in the area Friday as well but on time constraints. Picked up Geoffrey from Camp Mowana Friday night. Just had to boogie over, pick him up, and boogie home for more work. If I had time I would have posted something up to see who was available for a bite to eat or ice cream or something. Just not in the cards. Funny Ric, Brian, and I were all in that area Friday. Dang. We should have planned better. lmao

bthompson1004

NWOhio!

Chad, buddy why did you think I asked how many could fit in your boat about 3 weeks ago! Lmao My wife and I and the girls were in Maumee bay for a big Volleyball tourney last Mon. night thru late Wed. night then driving an hour on the ripoff of a toll road to Breakers Express at around 11pm Wed night. Then we went to CP all day before the long drive home. It was a great family trip but fishing just was t in the cards unfortunately.
BTW, I thought of our ole Philbert and a few others as I headed up 75 through all that fuggin construction north of Dayton all the way past Lima to South of Toledo. Southbound traffic was terrible but it wasn't too bad going north though. Thanks for the offer and I'd like to take you up on it sometime!

Brian, yes I believe you are correct that Roger Rothaar is from Bucyrus! He was definitely a great whitetail hunter and a very knowledgable on how to kill mature bucks. I remember talking to Mike Rex about him several times as he told be Roger actually was one of the first to use trip wire/string and cameras/clocks thus leading to where we are in the TC technology we have now.

Adam(redcloud), man, it would have been awesome to stop by and shoot the shit with you and Dave(Dante) but we were dogass tired but the look on my families face would have been priceless had I said, "Well girls, y'all hang tight here in the car while we go have a look see in that clump of trees o'er yonder!"rotflmao

Adam (fi-cent), pretty cool seeing where you and Bill chased critters buddy! Definitely an entirely different ball game and strategy in hunting deer up in them parts! The drive down 4 was very relaxing and the scenery was a beaut!

Now you're getting closer to my area...a ton of deer in that Maumee bay state park area, locals say that when they drive down cedar point road in the evening they often times have to stop and let the deer finish crossing the road.

I am more southwest of toledo...that is my urban oasis! right on the fringe where rural meets urban.

Nice to hear you were up this way...seeing is believing!

So what were you first thoughts about deer hunting when saw how flat and sporadic the woodlots were!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now you're getting closer to my area...a ton of deer in that Maumee bay state park area, locals say that when they drive down cedar point road in the evening they often times have to stop and let the deer finish crossing the road.

I am more southwest of toledo...that is my urban oasis! right on the fringe where rural meets urban.

Nice to hear you were up this way...seeing is believing!

So what were you first thoughts about deer hunting when saw how flat and sporadic the woodlots were!

Definitely different that's for sure. Getting in and out of my stands undetected would be my biggest concern. It'd be like climbing into bed with your wife at 3 in the morning and trying not to wake her X 10 times the difficulty! LMAO

Every area still has pinch points,bottlenecks and other land features deer prefer to use to get from one place to another so hopefully the area I hunted had several I could set up on. I'd probably still hunt on the ground more using a ghilli suit and the vast openness to my advantage.

Hunting the southern hilly areas has its different challenges as well and the hunters in both types of areas and everywhere in between just has to adapt to what they have and learn what works best through trial and error.