Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Replacement windows for my house ....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a few projects lined up for the end of the summer. A new cement driveway & having replacement windows installed. I've got the driveway contractor picked, but I know nothing about windows. The wife keeps throwing Andersen windows in my face, which is ok, but I hate having to look for a installer. I don't wanna spend a lot of time looking for someone. I see Home Depot offers this service... as an idea, but what do you guys suggest as to what to be looking for ? By that, I mean what brand & what type of installer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Windows are only as efficient as the installer. Best windows out there are worthless if not fit in properly and sealed properly. If no good candidates, maybe PM Beentown? He isn't terribly far from you. If he doesn't do windows, he might know someone in the area. If nothing there, go to the contractors desk at Lowes or Menards. Their commercial salesmen should be able to throw some good candidates your way. Window quality? Most companies offer different lines. Consumer research is about all I have to offer there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I can but don't do windows. I have to borrow a break from a friend when I have done them in the past. My good friend is the main installer for Rosatti and I recommend them highly.

We did our own windows several years ago and went with Anderson (a couple Pella crank outs where needed too). It's a good idea to read up on the best way to do them as I was pretty anal about installing them and still have one that leaks a little cool air in the winter.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've installed Anderson windows in every house I've done since 1963. Have Anderson high performance in this house I built 20 yrs. ago. Never a problem.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I just went through this same window project this past March and April. I lucked out thought my future father in law helped me out. Its what he does for a company in Lima so I lucked out. I still have two more windows and a few doors to put in before bow season. They wasn't too bad to put in, the main thing is to get the rite size replacement.

Treed

Stark County
I have a few projects lined up for the end of the summer. A new cement driveway & having replacement windows installed. I've got the driveway contractor picked, but I know nothing about windows. The wife keeps throwing Andersen windows in my face, which is ok, but I hate having to look for a installer. I don't wanna spend a lot of time looking for someone. I see Home Depot offers this service... as an idea, but what do you guys suggest as to what to be looking for ? By that, I mean what brand & what type of installer.

If you go with Anderson, you can't install them yourself unless you get them from a big box store. If they come out and measure, they will give you a quote with labor. I know because I went through this a couple years ago, we have a lot of odd sized windows so we needed customs. After they measured everything up and came back with a quote with labor included, I told them I just wanted the windows and that I would install them myself. They told me they can't do that for warrantee reasons or some other BS. Originally, I had Pella windows in the house so I called Pella up to come out and measure them up and let me look at the different options. We figured out what we wanted, told them I would be doing my own install and bought them. When they were delivered I did it with one of my buddies who's also a carpenter and wanted a little side cash. If you can't install them yourself and don't know a reputable contractor, have the window company install them. That's all those guys do, all day every day. More than likely, they'll get it right. Whatever you do, don't have Lowes or Home Depot ever install anything for you....ever.....Trust me, I work in the industry.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Had Pella's installed in 2002. The contractor had to redo every single piece of trim because they rushed it and hacked up every miter. Anyway, I regret choosing wood windows. They are trashed from sweat. Almost all of them need to be redone before this winter. Last winter was the worst. With the combination of extremely low outside temps, inside temps and humidity. There was no way to stop it. Pella has a chart to confirm this. Get vinyl.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatever you do, don't have Lowes or Home Depot ever install anything for you....ever.....Trust me, I work in the industry.

I would agree. However, I wouldn't be too scared asking their contractor's desk for a referral of reputable contractors. Difference between asking for referrals and just paying the box store to install. You hire them and you get whatever contractor is available. Some good. Some are just casing your house. lol

Treed

Stark County
Had Pella's installed in 2002. The contractor had to redo every single piece of trim because they rushed it and hacked up every miter. Anyway, I regret choosing wood windows. They are trashed from sweat. Almost all of them need to be redone before this winter. Last winter was the worst. With the combination of extremely low outside temps, inside temps and humidity. There was no way to stop it. Pella has a chart to confirm this. Get vinyl.

My old ones were wood and so are the new ones. The only reason we wanted replacements is because we have young kids and the old windows were casement windows and there are a few that a kid could fall out of and get hurt pretty bad. That and the fact that they were about twenty years old and the few that weren't dangerous wouldn't crank open anymore. When I did mine I bought about 10 rolls of Moist Stop and wrapped the framing, set the windows, then wrapped the flanges before I trimmed over them. Your contractor could have saved you a lot of money and headache if he'd have done the same. Honestly, the worst thing about the entire job was staining all the wood to match the interior trim. Twenty one windows and two sliding glass door worth.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
A few years before I sold my old house I was in the same boat. I needed new windows.

In the end I went with Window Nation for the home windows. They were Soft Lite made in Streetsboro Ohio. They were double hung vinyl. I bought 15 of them for $ 5,400, I think. Installed with a lifetime warranty.

After that, I proceeded to hire Cleveland Glass Block to handle my 10 basement windows. I think I paid about $ 1,700 for those, installed.

The new windows added a refreshing new look to the house. I did notice they made a difference on my heating & cooling bill. 3 years later I sold the house and built a new one.