Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Way to go Richland County.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yep saw plenty of confused kids at the Shiloh ox roast last weekend.

It didn't take long for the ACLU to jump on this one. It turns out they can try and "police" a dress code but they can't deny anyone entrance because of dress.

Huckleberry Finn

Hate to say this, but I see this all the time. A small town board, township, or group creates a "law" and then realizes that it's unenforceable and has zero standing.

MANSFIELD – A dress code planned at the Richland County Fair next week has been tabled, according to Bill Rieman, fair board president.

"Major (Joe) Masi from the sheriff's office said (to fair board member Gary Bloom) unless we get approval from the Richland County Prosecutor's Office they can't enforce it," Rieman said Wednesday. Deputies are stationed at the entrances to the fairgrounds off North Home Road and were going to be the ones helping to enforce the dress code. "Major Masi said we can't step on peoples' First Amendment rights."

An executive meeting was called for Wednesday night to rescind the board's resolution. Rieman said maybe the board can get approval from the prosecutor's office before next year's fair.

Masi said as law enforcement officers, the deputies can only enforce rules under the Ohio Revised Code.

"For us to enforce rules passed by the fair board, it's unclear if we can enforce or do that," he said. "From our position we should have to run that by the prosecutor's office. I totally understand what they are trying to do and we support that, they want a more family-friendly atmosphere, but we must make sure we do it under the letter of the law.

"What they are asking us to do, we want that reviewed by the prosecutor's office. We don't want to violate anybody's constitutional rights," he added.

Masi said while the fair board used the Columbus Zoo and the Cedar Point dress codes as examples, there is a difference between privately owned facilities and a public place such as a county fairgrounds where citizens of Richland County have an interest.

The fair board program book states a first-time dress code has been put in place for the 164th Richland County Fair. The fair opens Sunday.

The Richland County Agricultural Society dress code had aimed to provide a more family-friendly atmosphere, Rieman said Tuesday.

"We've had some undesirable things on shirts and saggy britches in the past," Rieman said. "In the past we've had to have people put their T-shirts on inside out."

The Richland County Fair dress code, modeled after dress codes in place at Cedar Point and the Columbus Zoo, stated:

"The Richland County Agricultural Society has a dress code designed to maintain the society's family atmosphere.

"We do not allow clothing generally considered offensive. Profanity, obscene gestures, obscene statements, pictures of illegal substances, motorcycle colors, insignias of para-military groups, all gang related items or clothing, costumes or disguises that conceal identity and adult full-face makeup are prohibited. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times, including entering or leaving. Swimwear must be sufficiently covered. Pants must be worn to the waist (no underwear showing). The Richland County Agricultural Society reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who refuses to comply with the dress code. If you have any concerns about your dress, please contact the Agricultural Society's office (at 419-747-3717)."

Rieman said they will be taking down the signs posted at the gates. Fairgoers not in compliance were to be turned away.

Before the decision to cancel the dress code, Kristen Wasilewski, 18, of Shelby, said she believes the dress code is a good thing.

"Sometimes I don't think people should be allowed to tell someone how to dress, but at the same time the senior fair board is trying to make a more family-friendly environment. I don't like it when the government tells me what to do, but I think the fair board wants to keep it under control, but you can't control everyone. I hope it works out for the better," she said.

"I hope it works out positively and not seen in a negative way," Wasilewski said. "But they shouldn't have to do this is the first place."

Rieman said the phones Wednesday were ringing off the hook with people praising and people complaining after the News Journal front-page story.

Dale Rhoads' commented on the News Journal's Facebook that "motorcycle colors" are colors and emblems denoting what biker clubs a person belongs to, like Hell's Angels, Outlaws, etc.

"That's a slippery slope, as you have Blue Knights (cops), BACA Bikers Against Child Abuse and a couple Christian clubs," he said.

Several commenters on Twitter had this to say after learning the measure would be tabled.

"Man this ain't school we can wear whatever we want."

Another Tweet stated, "(Cussing) how can you dictate what we wear as Americans?"

And yet another comment stated, "That (cussing) is dumb, they can't be telling people how to dress."

Opening ceremonies will be at 2 p.m. Sunday around the flag police north of Fairhaven Hall.

teej89

NE PA
Hate to say this, but I see this all the time. A small town board, township, or group creates a "law" and then realizes that it's unenforceable and has zero standing.

MANSFIELD – A dress code planned at the Richland County Fair next week has been tabled, according to Bill Rieman, fair board president.

"Major (Joe) Masi from the sheriff's office said (to fair board member Gary Bloom) unless we get approval from the Richland County Prosecutor's Office they can't enforce it," Rieman said Wednesday. Deputies are stationed at the entrances to the fairgrounds off North Home Road and were going to be the ones helping to enforce the dress code. "Major Masi said we can't step on peoples' First Amendment rights."

An executive meeting was called for Wednesday night to rescind the board's resolution. Rieman said maybe the board can get approval from the prosecutor's office before next year's fair.

Masi said as law enforcement officers, the deputies can only enforce rules under the Ohio Revised Code.

"For us to enforce rules passed by the fair board, it's unclear if we can enforce or do that," he said. "From our position we should have to run that by the prosecutor's office. I totally understand what they are trying to do and we support that, they want a more family-friendly atmosphere, but we must make sure we do it under the letter of the law.

"What they are asking us to do, we want that reviewed by the prosecutor's office. We don't want to violate anybody's constitutional rights," he added.

Masi said while the fair board used the Columbus Zoo and the Cedar Point dress codes as examples, there is a difference between privately owned facilities and a public place such as a county fairgrounds where citizens of Richland County have an interest.

The fair board program book states a first-time dress code has been put in place for the 164th Richland County Fair. The fair opens Sunday.

The Richland County Agricultural Society dress code had aimed to provide a more family-friendly atmosphere, Rieman said Tuesday.

"We've had some undesirable things on shirts and saggy britches in the past," Rieman said. "In the past we've had to have people put their T-shirts on inside out."

The Richland County Fair dress code, modeled after dress codes in place at Cedar Point and the Columbus Zoo, stated:

"The Richland County Agricultural Society has a dress code designed to maintain the society's family atmosphere.

"We do not allow clothing generally considered offensive. Profanity, obscene gestures, obscene statements, pictures of illegal substances, motorcycle colors, insignias of para-military groups, all gang related items or clothing, costumes or disguises that conceal identity and adult full-face makeup are prohibited. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times, including entering or leaving. Swimwear must be sufficiently covered. Pants must be worn to the waist (no underwear showing). The Richland County Agricultural Society reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who refuses to comply with the dress code. If you have any concerns about your dress, please contact the Agricultural Society's office (at 419-747-3717)."

Rieman said they will be taking down the signs posted at the gates. Fairgoers not in compliance were to be turned away.

Before the decision to cancel the dress code, Kristen Wasilewski, 18, of Shelby, said she believes the dress code is a good thing.

"Sometimes I don't think people should be allowed to tell someone how to dress, but at the same time the senior fair board is trying to make a more family-friendly environment. I don't like it when the government tells me what to do, but I think the fair board wants to keep it under control, but you can't control everyone. I hope it works out for the better," she said.

"I hope it works out positively and not seen in a negative way," Wasilewski said. "But they shouldn't have to do this is the first place."

Rieman said the phones Wednesday were ringing off the hook with people praising and people complaining after the News Journal front-page story.

Dale Rhoads' commented on the News Journal's Facebook that "motorcycle colors" are colors and emblems denoting what biker clubs a person belongs to, like Hell's Angels, Outlaws, etc.

"That's a slippery slope, as you have Blue Knights (cops), BACA Bikers Against Child Abuse and a couple Christian clubs," he said.

Several commenters on Twitter had this to say after learning the measure would be tabled.

"Man this ain't school we can wear whatever we want."

Another Tweet stated, "(Cussing) how can you dictate what we wear as Americans?"

And yet another comment stated, "That (cussing) is dumb, they can't be telling people how to dress."

Opening ceremonies will be at 2 p.m. Sunday around the flag police north of Fairhaven Hall.

Lawyered. Lol